Chapter 4

"Do you think she will be an IAS just like she always wanted to be?" Abhimanyu questioned. He never talked about her all these years because he didn't know what to say about it.  

"She was the smartest girl in the batch. Of course, she will be, "Naksh said with a huff. "Since she was in the sixth standard, she had one dream. To be an IAS. We were still in the last year of medical College when she appeared for her first UPSC prelims. Don't forget she had cleared prelims on the first attempt. It was just that if she had not fallen sick during her Mains…"

The discussion of Arohi ended there. Naksh was surprised that Abhimanyu was talking about Arohi. His friend sometimes behaved as if someone like Arohi never existed in his life. He couldn't understand how Abhimanyu behaved like Arohi who was the most unforgettable and beautiful part of his life didn't exist. 

The day for leaving New York arrived soon. It took more time than Abhimanyu had thought to complete all the formalities in the hospital. Even if he wanted, he would not be able to reach India before the day of his cousin's engagement. Ayushman was his only cousin from his father's side. They couldn't be said to be close but they were respectful to each other.

 He still didn't understand why his cousin was so insistent that he attended his engagement. The bastard didn't even send him a wedding card but called him, especially for the wedding. 

"Did you reach India?" Naksh called as soon as Abhimanyu reached India. "Are you heading to the venue?" 

"The hell, "Abhimanyu cursed as he realised the mess that his stupid cousin had made. "Ayushman is getting engaged to a girl in Himachal Pradesh. Not any city like Shimla but somewhere in the village. I wonder what the hell he is even thinking." 

In annoyance, he added, "Thankfully, I was able to book a flight for Himachal. Pradesh. It will leave in thirty minutes. I don't think I will reach there on time. Who wants to see him putting a ring on a girl's finger anyway? I would be happy if I could appease my family by showing my face." 

"Whatever man, " Naksh said, hanging up the call. 

Later, when he was on the flight to Himachal Pradesh from Delhi. He freshened up at the airport and on the flight, he changed into his dark suit. He was ready to attend his cousin's engagement. He had booked a cab that would take him straight to the engagement venue.

 Everything was happening so hurriedly that he didn't even have time to sort out his thoughts and feelings. It was as if life had taken control out of his hands as soon as he had reached the airport in India. 

Why did he feel as if he was climbing down a mountain and he had no control over his feet? They were walking on their own. His life and circumstances just felt the same at this moment. He just hoped that he could stop when he needed to. 

"Thank you, "Abhimanyu said as the cab driver left him outside the engagement venue. He looked at the house built in the fascinating greenery of Himachal Pradesh and sighed. How could someone live in this beautiful but far-flung area? Everything was going so slowly here that he felt as if time had stopped all of a sudden. He missed the energy of New York right now. 

As he entered the venue, he saw everyone clapping and cheering up for the couple. 

"They got engaged!" Someone yelled. 

Abhimanyu waited for everyone to sit down so he could see the newly engaged couple on the stage. After a couple of minutes, when the crowd fell silent and took their seats, his gaze fell on his cousin who was standing on the stage, staring at the ring on his finger. 

He didn't know what compelled him to turn his gaze, but as he did, he saw a woman more beautiful than an angel dressed in a silver lehenga. His heart stopped beating when his gaze paused on the newly worn ring on her finger. 

He raised his eyes to look at her face but this time he found her staring right at him and it was the moment he knew that he couldn't breathe.

.......

A/N: I can imagine the scene of Abhi meeting Aru again happening before my eyes. Can you imagine the same?