Chapter 8

"Stupid. Where are your shoes?" Abhimanyu asked her. He was so angry and frustrated at this moment. God, he wanted to know where all of her smartness went to. Her smartness always disappeared when it was needed the most. 

"I forgot to wear them, "Arohi whispered, staring at him with glossy eyes. "I was scared for Bella. You know I don't wear shoes inside the house. When I saw thunder and lightning in the sky, I forgot that I needed to wear shoes. All I could think was how Bella was going to be sick in the rain." 

"God, Aru, "Abhimanyu sighed. "Your feet are bleeding." 

"We have to find Bella, "Arohi said instead. She didn't care about her pain at the moment. 

"I'm taking you home, "Abhimanyu said, not hearing her pleas.

"We have to find Bella!" Arohi refuted. 

"Arohi, I am taking you home.  I promise you that I will find your Bella, "Abhimanyu said, holding her tightly. "Trust me once, please?"

Arohi stared at his hazel eyes and the sincerity shining in those eyes. She ended up nodding her head. She didn't know why even after all these years, she found nothing but honesty there. Then again, he had always been an honest man. 

"If your family finds out that you went out of the house in the dead of night just a night before your wedding, they will be mad at you, "Abhimanyu reminded her. He leaned down and scooped her in his arms. 

"What are you doing?" Arohi asked without fighting back. 

"You already ruined the Mehandi of your feet. Don't ruin it more, "Abhimanyu said, looking at the dark road. 

The rain started pouring with occasional lightning and she could see his serious face on the road while he was carrying her home. She should fight back and tell him that she would walk back home just like she came but she did no such thing. Why she did no such a thing? What on earth was she doing by finding comfort in his arms? 

"You weigh nothing, "Abhimanyu said as he could feel her gaze on his face. 

"Whatever, "She mumbled under her breath. 

"How did you get so tall?" Arohi couldn't help but ask. "In the tenth standard, I was taller than you." 

They had known each other since the time she was taller than him. They said the girl's height increased quickly and it happened in her case. When he was in 11th standard, Arohi swore that his growth spurted all of a sudden. And now he was towering over her. 

An amused smirk played on his lips. "My mom packed me so many complan drinks. I had to get taller." 

"Seriously, how tall are you now?" Arohi asked in curiosity.

"6'3, "Abhimanyu said proudly. 

"I'm still 5'8, "Arohi mumbled. "You are taller than Ayushman." 

"More handsome and smart too, "Abhimanyu winked. 

"Jalkukdi, "Arohi muttered under her breath. 

"What did you say?" Abhimanyu asked. Of course, he heard the word perfectly. She called him a jealous bird. Really? Was he jealous? Why would he be jealous? And who would he be jealous of? 

"Don't marry Shanaya. Marry anyone else, "Arohi said after a while. "She is not what she seems like." 

Abhimanyu hummed in reply. He didn't ask her why she said this. But she knew that he would listen to what she had said. After all, he knew that she was not one of those people who would talk bad about anyone. 

When he reached her house, it was still dark and he couldn't even see her face right now. He said with a smile playing on his lips,  "Arohi, all the best for your life. If Ayush troubles you, tell me. I will teach him a lesson." 

Arohi smiled. "Why would you do that?" 

"For old time's sake?" Abhimanyu said. 

Arohi nodded her head. "Thank you, brother-in-law." 

When she entered her house, he was still standing there at the gate and thinking about the new title she called him by. It was the right title but why didn't it feel right to his heart?

 What was wrong with him? 

What was wrong with her? 

What was wrong with them? 

_____

A/N: I see I have some readers. It would be very nice if we could talk in the comment section. It is my first time writing an Indian story. Though I have five other long stories on other apps, it is my first time trying Wattpad. I always wanted to do short stories but never got the time. I hope you will comment more often and give me the courage to end the book here.