Chapter 6

Today was the haldi function. The guests were applying Haldi to Arohi and she was sitting there on a swing that was decorated with flowers with a bright smile on her face. She was hearing the guests talking around her about Ayushman's handsome doctor cousin and how he was getting married to a girl who was present in the wedding too. Good for him. She had moved on. He had moved on. Everybody had moved on.

"Arohi, meet Shanaya. She is Ayushman and Abhimanyu's friend. Who knows you both may end up becoming family in future?" Anu said with a wink and Archana laughed as she understood what her sister-in-law was trying to do here.

"How I wish My Abhi married someone like Shanaya, "Archana said with a sigh but Arohi pretended as if she didn't hear a thing. 

As Shanaya appeared in a yellow saree, she dipped her fingers in Haldi paste to apply it on the bride's face. But as she turned to look at the bride to apply the paste, she took a step back in horror. Her face was as pale as the sheet of paper and her heart had stopped beating all of a sudden.

"Shanaya! What happened?" Archana asked with a look of concern as looked at the girl's pale face.

"Auntie, I suddenly feel nauseous, "Shanaya said and ran from there. When she was on the way to the washroom, she collided with Abhimanyu.

"Shanaya, what's wrong?" Abhimanyu asked but Shanaya shook her head and ran to the other side.

"Does she know you?" Maya asked Arohi. She felt that the girl's reaction was a little weird. She looked at Arohi as if she was looking at someone she didn't want to.

"Maybe, I am a ghost of her past, "Arohi gave a cheeky reply. She closed her eyes and her heart hardened as she recalled the day when all her dreams were taken away from her. Shanaya was the trigger to that horrible memory of her past. Five years and she was still not ready to forgive her for taking everything away from her.

When the Haldi function was going on, Abhimanyu was standing in a corner, staring at a particular person. He was trying to distance himself from the wedding rituals as much as he could. Nobody tried to force him as they thought that a few years in New York might have changed him. Too bad nobody knew the real reason why he was standing away from his family.

A while later, Ayushman stood next to him and offered him a cigarette.

"Oh, I forget Dr Singhania doesn't smoke or drink, "Ayushman chuckled.

"Smoking is injurious to health, "Abhimanyu said as he grabbed the cigarette from his hand and lit it and took a puff. After a while, he added,  "She doesn't like the smell of tobacco."

"Oh?" Ayushman said, raising his brow.

Abhimanyu didn't reply.

"Are you marrying Shanaya?" Ayushman asked.

"Who told you?" Abhimanyu asked with disinterest look.

"Everyone is talking about it. You always said one day you will marry an IAS and she is one, "Ayushman shrugged. "Match made for you." 

Abhimanyu chuckled. "You all misunderstood me." But he did not explain much. He didn't need to explain anything to anyone.

"What do you think about my fiance?"Ayushman questioned a while later.

"She is very gorgeous, "Abhimanyu answered. When her wild green eyes would meet him, she made it impossible for him to look away from her. Whenever she would smile, the faint dimple on her cheek would compel him to poke it, earning a glare from her like old times. It was hard for him not to approach her, hug her and ask her how she was doing or worse ruffle her hair and get a smack from her.

"Do you know her?" Ayushman asked.

"I don't, "Abhimanyu said with a smile. "I don't know her anymore."

With a single gaze, he could tell that there was an earth and sky difference between Arohi of past and present. Her gorgeous face no longer carried the same innocence as it did once upon a time. She was always an open book. A girl who wore her emotions on sleeves but this Arohi had built a fortress around her heart, keeping everyone away from her heart and mind. The only person who knew her was herself. Even if one would try, she would not give anyone an entry to her heart or mind.

She looked so different from before. Her skinny body had filled in all the right places. Her waist length long brown hair was dyed jet black and cut into a sharp blunt cut that shows off the angles of her heart-shaped face perfectly. Her cheekbones were more prominent now. There was nothing soft about her anymore. She had a strong aura, almost blinding sometimes. Her soft and sweet aura had disappeared somewhere. She was still as gorgeous as she was years ago but she was a different kind of gorgeous now. Then again, nothing was the same between Arohi of past and present.

One thing was still the same about her. She could still bring any man to his knees with his just one.

"Then, don't eye what doesn't belong to you, "Ayushman said before leaving.

"You break her heart and my knuckle will meet your cheek, dear cousin, "Abhimanyu said from behind.

"That day won't come. I'm not you, "Ayushman said without looking back.

Little did he know that fate had other plans for the three of them.

_____

A/N: If you have any idea about the story. Comment here. I'm thinking about new cover what do you say?