Chapter 23: A Dance Hall?

∙ Madis POV ∙

"Higher. This hand must go higher otherwise your punch won't do much harm," Noora instructed and I nodded, bracing my feet on the ground and punching her hand, but again my elbow dropped.

I was quite tired to be honest. I had lain in bed awake for hours just thinking. I was happy. Genuinely happy. And Nyx maybe was not such a huge prick, but maybe he also was. A bit at least. I had had so many thoughts—my head felt too little for all of them.

"And again higher!" Noora laughed yet smiled warmly. I punched and kicked, and punched. Sweat was dripping from my forehead, tendrils of hair curled around my head already and my training cloths were damp.

I had gained quite some muscles, only through this little practice every day. But I was still far away from being as active and athletic as they were. I glanced over at Nyx who again was shirtless. He was currently fighting with Cassian and his father. I stared at them—at him. How was he so gorgeous? A gorgeous idiot of course. I could not allow myself to fall for him. Not someone like him. Not someone like me for someone like him. I was not good enough for him. If I understood correctly he would be the heir to this court. What would he do with me?

"Stop drooling over Nyx and focus on punching, you will never learn it otherwise!" Noora hollered and I heard Eve cackle loudly next to her. Eve was doing some training with Balthazar and Catrin. The twins were really sweet and also incredibly talented with fighting. I had a faint inkling, that even though they were quite young, Balthazar had a tiny crush on Eve. 

"I am not drooling!" I quickly protested and realised how many times I had said that in the past weeks. Eve chortled again and when I met her gaze she flashed me an innocent grin. I knew she somehow hoped Nyx and I would end up together, but I had to disappoint her—it would never happen.

Noora mockingly laughed. "Of course not! Now focus and fight!" I did as told, punching her harder and she tumbled a few steps back. I raised my brow, a smug smile on my face.

"Not bad, not bad. But still harder." And again I did as told.

"Alright, now I am trying to attack you and you have to defend yourself?" she suggested and I agreed, panting and sweating. I quickly ducked under her arm, relieved for a second before her hands wrapped under me and she slammed me to the ground with the full force of an Illyrian warriror.

I groaned loudly, throwing my head back and closed my eyes. Then I coughed loudly and sucked in some air. Damn.

"Shit. I am sorry. I thought you would defend yourself...better," Noora expressed with an horrified expression on her face. Teeth gritted she quickly leaned over me, extending a hand when I opened my eyes. "Gods, I am so sorry. I hope I did not hurt you. Did I?"

"It is fine no worries," I mumbled and meant it, slowly grabbing her hand and letting her help me up. I brushed down my shirt and shook my body, blinking a few times. She still gritted her teeth and I put my hands on her shoulders. "It is fine. No worries. Nothing is broken. I am no longer in my fragile mortal body," I told her smiling.

Hesitantly Noora shook her head but before she could say something Nyx cut in.
"I am calling in my part of the bargain....today," I suddenly heard his raspy voice say behind me and felt a tap on my shoulder.

I spun around, mouth open and gasping at Nyx. "What? I am here already? I thought the bargain has ended?" I blabbered and watched the smirk on his face grow. "You really thought it was done with one time? It was Nyx you made a bargain with," Noora laughed, squeezing my biceps. I shook my head at the two cousins. Did mischief run in the family or what?

"I said 'show you my court' whenever I want. You have only seen this house so far, so...my friends and I are going out tonight to Rita's and you will be joining," he explained, the smugness imprinted in his features.