Chapter 39: Return to the Mortal Lands

∙ Madis POV ∙

"Thank you for doing this with me." Pulling me to his chest, Nyx kissed the top of my head. The scent of pine and sea and citrus wrapped around me in an instant and I smiled. "Nothing to thank me for. I am looking forward to meet your friends." With entangled fingers Nyx and I approached the building in which Aesa and Geavin were now living, my heart beating like crazy. I couldn't hold back the grin when knocking onto the door. I was actually going to see them again. And this time longer, not just a for an hour.

The door opened and revealed my beaming best friend.

"There you are!" I immediately scooped Aesa up in my arms, kissing the side of her head and bursting into tears. Placing her down on the ground, I immediately cupped her face in my hands and kissed her nose, her brow and her forehead. And gods, she looked so happy and so well. "I missed you," I cried out when she mumbled similar words and hugged me once again. Only the low chuckling of Geavin made me finally let go of her. I made space for Nyx to greet her and stepped past her to get to my other best friend.

"Fae boy. Aesa Tully it is," Aesa greeted, extending her hand to Nyx while I nudged her with my elbow. "Nyx Archeron, pleasure to meet you, Aesa." A giggle slipped through my lips. Such manners.

I heard a slight growl from behind me when Geavin wrapped me into his strong arms. Darling, you are walking on thin ice with you always hugging every male.

Calm down...darling.

"I missed you, Mads. It is so good to see you healthy and fine and happy." I grinned, placing a kiss to Geavin's cheek. "Thank you, I am. I missed you two so much and—"

A strong arm wrapped around my midriff, when I heard wings rustle behind me. "Nyx," my super relaxed boyfriend said, stepping in line with me and interrupting me.

"Geavin, nice to meet you," Geavin smiled between us.

"Don't mind him, he is a bit territorial. I believe this is a fae thing," I chuckled, now pushing past Nyx and flinging my arms around Geavin once again.

"But you are one of them now as well," he chortled, his hand brushing over my back and once again Nyx snarled under his breath.

"And she is territorial as well," my love commented, which made me turn towards him with raised brows. He only lifted his hands in defense. "I am only saying Falin." To that I rolled my eyes but quickly had to chuckle.

I decided to change the topic, really wanting to focus on Aesa and Geavin whom I had missed so insanely much my heart ached. "And that is now your place? I love it!"

"Yeah, Kjardan had to practically offer it, I repaired his carriages and then instead of payment I asked for this. For my sweet and I."

I smiled, and it came from the bottom of my heart, not even being able to express my happiness in words. "Isn't he the best?" Aesa grinned, clasping my hand in hers. My eyes glowing and my mouth forming a grin, I nodded and let my gaze trail over all the pieces of furniture and decoration.

"Come sit. I made cake and tea, I hope you like it."
"I always loved everything you made, so there is no need to worry." I told her and meant it.

"But I believe the fae have quite exquisite dishes so..."
"Doesn't matter. Yours will always be the most exquisite."

Nyx and I took a seat opposite from my best friends and Aesa immediately handed out the drinks and food. It smelled delicious and I knew that I was going to devour it, solely for the reason that my best friend had made it. Nyx looked slightly uncomfortable, the chairs were not made for wings but he somehow made it work. Still, it looked very funny. For a short moment him and Geavin had a conversation about wings and how unpractical they could be and I was happy that they actually got along quite well.