Chapter 28: A Tug On the Chest

∙ Madis POV ∙

I groaned loudly, wiggling around in bed when the first strays of sunlight shone through the window. My eyes opened and I exhaled in annoyance. This idiot.
The previous night, he had nothing better to do than pleasure himself. My room was not even next to his and I still heard him. Well, rather felt him. Saw him. It was strange. I had no idea how I had felt it and seen it. Or maybe I had dreamt it? Gods, that would be so embarrassing and...weird.

I hated that he had snapped at me the previous day. And I hated that I had asked too many questions and that that made him snap at me. And I hated that we did not kiss that morning in the cabin. I hated that that I hated that we did not kiss. I should not care. I should not want to kiss him. Gods...

I was tired, terribly sleep-deprived and annoyed. But I had to get up; training with Cassian. And since I had already missed out a lot of sessions due to the trip to the cabin and doing a lot of other things instead of training in the days before, Cassian had insisted that I would join from now on every time.

I slammed my hands onto the mattress next to me, groaning again before lifting myself of the bed. I waddled over to the bathroom, did my business, brushed my teeth, made a braid with my hair and got dressed. Even if I had no idea if he knew that I had heard him, but I had no idea how to approach him then.

I slowly waddled out of my room and downstairs to the dining room. I heard Eve giggle when I walked in and was immediately met with a smirking Nyx. He was already dressed in his training clothes, stuffing bread into his mouth.

"You look....tired," he remarked, a weak smile on his lips. His eyes scanned my figure, slowly.

"You too," I mumbled, sitting down and smiling at Eve. "Morning, Evie."

"Had a rather sleepless night," he said amusedly. I shot him a glance when he took another bite of the bread. "Me too..." So I had not dreamt it and he really was back to his idiotic self?

"Really why that?" he now smirked and I just decided to ignore him. Feyre also joined us soon and was closely followed by Rhysand when I let a loud yawn escape my lips.

"Someone tired?" Rhysand asked and I nodded, yawning again. Nyx chuckled and if Eve hadn't been there I would have flipped him off right then and there.

"So, Feyre and I had been thinking and talking about you," Rhysand started and the blood froze in my veins. Did I do something wrong? My eyes got enormously wide and I gasped at him. Was it because I had asked Nyx too many questions about things that were not my business? Was I too intrusive?

"No need to worry!" the High Lord laughed while Feyre smiled at me. "They want to ask when your birthday is," Eve then finished and I let a sigh of relief escape my lips. Oh my.

"Oh, ahm March 20th," I said, fumbling with my fingers. I did not like my birthday and I did not like celebrating it, but obviously could not lie to them, especially since I knew they could enter my mind. I had no idea how to keep my mental shields up or if they were down right now.

"Oh, that is surprising, but good to know." I furrowed my brows, pursing my lips. "Why surprising?"

"Oh, just so," Rhysand smiled and I shook my head at him, while Nyx calmly chuckled next to him. I knew that I had seen something like regret on his face when he had snapped at me the previous day, but he had not even tried to talk to me after we had landed in Velaris. And I hadn't tried either, although I knew I probably should have.

"We have to go to training, come on, Madis," Eve then said, jumping to her feet and extending her hand towards me. I grabbed it when I swallowed my last bite and followed after her. The sun was already shining brightly when we walked out on the training pitch which was still heated by the faerie magic.