Chapter 60: The Meaning of All This?

∙ Madis POV ∙

"Conqueror of Death. Unifier of Realms. Healer of the Broken. Rebuilder of the Damaged. Mate of the future High Lord. And Queen of the Night."

My cheeks still felt flushed from Nyx and I's night together, his marks on my skin still very visible, when I tried my best to focus on Amren and what she was rambling about.

"Conqueror of Death, that is what you truly are. First your...illness. Then the Bloodrite."

Reach her hand forward, Amren brushed a strand of hair out of my face and then let her fingers face over my face. They were a tint cold and I shuddered — not because of her her cool touch, rather about the whole situation. I was almost 100% positive that I did not have any powers, but still, what did this all mean? And what would it all mean for my and our future?

I had allowed myself to forget a little about it in the past days but now I was slapped in the face with reality. I had to deal with this.

"Nyx and I figured that part of it makes sense, as you said the Conqueror of Death or Mate of the future High Lord. But what does Healer of the Broken, Rebuilder of the Damaged and Unifier of the Realms mean?"

"That is what we are trying to figure out," Amren pondered and gave me a once over. Her brows were creased and for the first time that I had seen her she looked old—ancient almost.

"You really don't know if you have any powers?"

"I don't think I have any, they would have shown, wouldn't they?"

She nodded slowly, grabbing my chin in her slender hand and tipping my head up. "They probably would. Maybe you should go back to where you conquered death?"
"Only over my dead body do I go back to the Blood Rite!" I loudly expressed and that drew Nyx's attention to us. Obviously my highly over-protective and territorial male had not for one moment left —even though he had said so— and had waited outside the living room the whole time.

"Only over my dead body!" Nyx cut in and in the next moment swept into the room, moving over to me and placed his hands on my shoulders.

Amren pursed her lips, a tint of annoyance lacing her features. "I was talking about the Mortal Lands, you two love birds."

"Oh." Now I pressed my lips in a thin line and shot her an apologetic look for my quick reaction. Nyx on the other hand just squeezed my shoulders and said, "Why that?"
"Maybe it will help her find her powers?"
"If there even are any," I protested and cocked my head.

To that Amren mumbled some incomprehensible answer and we came to the conclusion that travelling to the Mortal Lands might truly be what I had to do. And it was quite fortunate that Andras and Dalia would also be leaving today, so they could winnow me to the Spring Court.

"I wish I could go with you, but—"
"You promised your father that you would finally dive into the whole High Lord business," I finished for Nyx when we later returned to our bedroom. Nyx sat on the bed, I stood in front of him, my hands cradling his face. "It is fine. I know the Mortal Lands like the pocket of my pants. And I have Geavin and Aesa there as well."

"They cannot protect you."
"The Blood Rite should have shown you that I am very capable of protecting myself!" I countered and leaned in to kiss my mate's lips. "I am strong."
"I know you are. The strongest. But I am still worried."
"Don't be." I nipped at his lower lip and smiled against his mouth.

"I am always worried when it comes to you. You are my mate. I think this is natural mate behaviour," Nyx mumbled and pouted his lips. He closed his eyes for a moment and drew in a deep inhale. I stroked my thumb over his cheek and smiled softly when he blinked his eyes open.