I Don't Want To Go Home Yet (Let Me Walk To The Top Of The Big Night Sky)

Summary:

A brother and sister talk, and a family dinner happens.

Notes:

I listened to Mitski while writing this chapter, I hope that tells you enough

Trigger Warning: Finney's dad is directly mentioned to be drinking alcohol in this chapter

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

When Finney was dropped home, Sarah made him swear to just ask for a lift next time he needed one. He nodded along to her words, and felt a sense of embarrassment engulf of him as he stood in the drive way. But at last Sarah rolled up her window, and Billy and Griffin shouted goodbye as they pulled out of the driveway.

Finney waved at them, and watched as the car drove down the street, even after the car was gone he stared at the empty road with a feeling he couldn't quite place in his chest. But he pushed it down.

Finney expected the house to be empty, just as it had been for the last few weeks, but when he opened the door he came face to face with Gwen, she looked surprised to see him.

"Oh, Hey Gwe-" he looked down, a box was in Gwen's hands, it was open so he could see the contents inside. Which were a few dolls, Gwen's bible and her rosary that Finney knew she would never get rid of.

"Finney I..." Gwen started to say, but she was clearly on the verge of crying, her voice was shaky, and his name cracked when she said it.

There were a lot of things Finney could've said, he could scream at her not to go, he could beg her to stay, he could cry, which he felt he was awfully close to doing already. He could do a lot of things but instead

"I'll carry that for you." And he pulled the box out of Gwen's hands. Gwen stared at him, and he felt her still staring at him as he turned around and stepped out into the driveway. She followed him out of the house, and the two just stood there in silence, sided by side.

"Susie's I'm guessing." Finney shuffled the box around in his hands, and he felt Gwen stiffen next to him.

"Yeah, I'm going to be staying there for awhile." Gwen reached for his arm, and wrapped her small fingers around Finney's wrist.

"I just can't be in there anymore." She looked back the house, and Finney hummed in response, knowing that if he opened his mouth he would say something that might make Gwen stay, but he didn't want Gwen to stay, he didn't want her to feel trapped in the house, just as there mother had been.

Finney would not pull her down, if she needed to leave, he just wanted to hear it from her.

"Does he know?" Finney glanced back towards the house, and he felt Gwen's grip tighten around his wrist.

"He knows, he knows." Gwen whispered out, and he could feel her shaking, he shifted the box to one arm, and wrapped his other around Gwen's shoulders. He whispered reassurance to her, and told her that she was doing the right thing, that it was okay, and that he was only a phone call away if she needed anything.

Her crying subsided into light sniffles, and he pulled her closer to him.

"Gwen, have you had any of those dreams lately?" Gwen looked up at him, her eyes were still filled with tears, she shook her head

"No, not for a while." She mumbled as she rubbed her face against the side of Finney's shirt.

"Ok." He said, as a familiar car pulled into the driveway. Gwen looked at him, and he passed her the box. But she didn't move, she was rooted to the spot, her eyes, which were still filled with tears, refused to leave his face.