I'm Trying Hard (Not To Be Ashamed)

Summary:

A city trip.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

On Sunday, October seventeenth, the day after Vance was supposed to be abducted, all the boys were gathered in the cafe.

Billy, Griffin and Robin, had come along with them. Billy was asleep on Griffin's shoulder and Robin was just messing around on his phone, clearly still sleepy.

Finney was filling up the pitchers of water that they kept on the table in the corner, Vance was setting the kitchen up, and Bruce was opening the register for the day. The cafe was quiet, but it was the nice quiet, where everyone was just happy to do their own things and let everyone just be. It was nothing like the quiet that consumed Finney's house.

The morning was nice, a handful of people came through, but left pretty quickly. It wasn't to far away from closing time, when a familiar face walked through the door. His sister made his way over to the counter, and quietly placed her order to Bruce happily told her it wouldn't be to long.

Gwen was making her way over to a table, but then she caught sight of Finney, and she practically flew across the cafe. Finney didn't have time to blink before her arms were around him.

"Finney." She said, and Finney let his own arms wrap around his sister.

"Hi, Gwen." The two stood there for a moment, the two had hardly seen each other at school, and given the fact that Gwen was no longer staying with at the house, it was good to see his sister.

The two just held each other, and probably would've continued to do so if they had not been interrupted been Bruce,

"I'm guessing you two know each other." Bruce was leaning on the part of the counter that was right beside him and Gwen, the two pulled away looking slightly sheepish, he noticed Gwen was holding his hand.

"Bruce, this is Gwen, my sister." Finney explained, and Bruce was happy to accept the information.

"Nice to meet you Gwen, I'm Bruce." The taller boy stuck his hand out, and Gwen, using the hand that was not holding Finney's shook it lightly. Bruce smiled, and Gwen politely smiled back, Bruce just had a way of making people feel at ease.

"You going to introduce us to your friend, Finney?" Griffin had come up beside him, and was pointedly looking, with a raised eyebrow at his and Gwen's interlocked hands, and Finney was quick to shut it down,

"She's my sister." And he saw Griffin's expression change quite quickly,

"Oh, she's your sister." Griffin turned back around and shouted at the table,

"She's his sister!" Billy looked a little surprised, and Robin who had met Gwen in passing a few times did not look surprised at all.

"Why don't you come sit down with the rest of us?" Griffin suggested, and Gwen looked a little hesitant and gripped Finney's hand a little tighter,

"Finney you can go with her, I don't think anyone else is going to come through in the last twenty minutes anyway." Bruce explained, and Finney was happy to comply, and pulled Gwen along to the table, she was still holding his hand, but her grip had loosened slightly.

Griffin returned to his spot next to Billy, and shuffled along the booth in order to make room for the brother and sister. Gwen was still holding his hand, and was leaning against him slightly.