You Are At The Opera

Summary:

The boys go to a movie, Bruce makes his entrance.

Notes:

Also, I thought I should make this clear, the boys are all around 15 in this story, with Vance being the oldest at 16. Vance would be a year 11, while the rest of the boys are in year 10.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Finney and Griffin spent most of the English class, talking about the book the were reading. Both of them had already finished the book, and the lesson had been set for those who hadn't finished the book to at least get through one chapter. They were studying a modern tragedy, instead of an old one.

Finney and Griffin were both in advanced English, while Robin and Billy were in regular. The regular class was studying Romeo & Juliet, while they were studying The Fault In Our Stars. Finney had thoroughly enjoyed the book, even though it had ended, well tragically, the way it was written made it feel real. He cried when he got to the end, he was glad his dad wasn't home when he read it. If his dad had seen him crying over a love story, well he didn't want to know what his dad would've done.

"I'm not going to lie, I cried." Griffin told him quite confidentially. Finney just nodded. He understood.

"When I read his letter at the end, I couldn't help it." Griffin continued on, and Finney felt the urge to comfort him.

"Yeah, that part got to me as well." Finney ended up telling him, and Griffin smiled up at him frown where his head was resting on the desk. Finney smiled right back at him. The letter wasn't the only part that got to him. It was also Hazel's mom, he spent most of the time sobbing over the argument that the had where Hazel had said

'You won't be a mother anymore.'

Needless to say he went through an entire pack of travel tissues.

The two boys went back and fourth, about things they liked, and didn't like about the book, and the conversation carried on even as they exited the classroom when the bell for lunch rang. The two of them happily made there way down the hallway, and Finney made a mental note of Max, and the other boy's absence.

They exited the building, and were meet with the sight of Billy enthusiastically waving them over to a table he and Robin had claimed as there's. Even though it was near the end of year, no established group had been sitting at the table by the corner of the art room.

When they approached, Robin wordlessly moved his bag from beside him and dropped it on the floor. Finney sat down, next to him, and Griffin sat beside Billy, who was watching something on his phone.

"What are you watching?" Finney asked, peering over the table to try and catch a glance at what his friend was watching. Billy protectively pulled the phone towards his chest.

"Just some music video." Billy embarrassedly muttered out, at Finney could see a flush coming across the taller boy's features. Griffin chuckled and threw an arm over Billy's shoulder,

"Billy's watching a musical." Griffin told them, and his friend slipped downwards in shame. Finney didn't know why. He listened to musicals, they were good, and when his mom was still around they would talk about going to the proper theatre in the city to see a big show. Finney was also not ready to admit that he had been a dancer in a few shows himself.

"What musical?" Robin asked, through a mouthful of food. Finney passed him a napkin, and reminded him to chew with his mouth closed.

"The Great Comet of 1812." Finney's head snapped up at Billy's response. Billy to note of this.