27.

Tw: Slight Panic Attack

I shouldn't have been listening

I shouldn't have been listening. But I stopped when I heard what Linda said. Was she really my mom? My real mom. My waterline on my eyes is starting to fill up to the brim, flowing down my face silently. All this time, I was talking to my mom. The door swung up and there stood Linda, my mom. And Harry.

"Maman?" I whispered softly, testing out the words on the tip of my tongue. Linda started to cry and held her arms. I ran to them, she tightened her arms around me as we cried together.

"Mommy? Mommy. I-I." I stuttered out, gasping for air as my arms tightened her. Linda patted my head softly, looking at Harry with worried eyes as we walked into his office again, sitting on the couch. Lin- my mom was rubbing my back gently in circles. Then I heard Harry say, "Linda, please go get Ari a glass of water?" She muttered, "okay", and let me go then Harry took over, whispering nothing but sweet things in my ear to calm me down.

"Babylove?" Harry whispered softly, keeping his tone low, making it easy for me. He kept my silence as a sign that I didn't want to talk right now and he just held me on his lap. My head was buried in his shoulder, his scent was intoxicating but I love it nonetheless. His hands were gentle against my back, kissing my temple. I lifted my head from his shoulder, looking into his beautiful emerald eyes, tracing the freckles on his nose. Harry let out a small giggle, making me give him a small smile.

"Hello, pretty girl. Are you doing alright? I know, s'all to take in." He kept the same low tone, my eyes fluttered closed at the sound of his voice, nodding against his shoulder.

"Did you know? Or did she just tell you?" My voice was dry and horsey. "Just told me, babylove." I hummed softly, moving close to him. Then I started to speak again.

"What did she say to you?" His lips were on the forehead, kissing it before looking down at me. His minty breath hitting my lips.

"Can't tell you that, sweetheart. That's for your mum to tell you."

Mom. That word feels so foreign to me.

I sighed softly, "m'scared, H. What should I do? I haven't seen my mom before. All I knew was my foster parents and they didn't tell me anything about her. Nothing!" I spoke in a hushed tone, suddenly mad that my foster parents didn't mention Linda to me.

Harry held me close to his chest, whispering sweet things once more and then said, "they probably had a reason, Ari. You have every right to be mad but please don't be mad at Linda."

How could I ever be mad at my mom?

I get off Harry's lap, softly pecking his cheek. "I'll go talk to her. I'll be right back, pretty boy." He blushed, nodding his head and went back to work while I walked out the door, going downstairs into the kitchen to see my mom's head on the counter, soft sobs coming from her.