Chapter 5

Chocolate eyes opened to come in contact with a white ceiling. Something shifted beside his warm body as a hand wrapped around his waist to pull him close. Ahkmenrah froze and it must have showed in his body language as the hand was quickly taken away.

“Ahk?” Blinking slightly, that was Nick’s voice. Ahk moved to sit up despite his exhaustion he felt a hand on his back, turning around he noticed he was sleeping on the old sofa bed and Nick had crashed behind him. 

“Nick?” 

“Yeah its me, sorry I fell asleep while on watch” 

Ahk raised an eyebrow, “What happened?” 

“You fainted brother” The distinctive voice of his older brother twisted his attention to Kahmunrah and a grinning Larry entering the small office. Nick was sitting beside Ahkmenrah with a dishevelled look and he was a bit pink in embarrassment. Ahkmenrah smiled at the young man who would technically be older than him now if he went by his real age. 

“Please tell me it was a dream” Ahkmenrah said looking at Kahmunrah who shook his head. “Wish I could Ahk but I got in contact with our good friend Dr Mcphee and he has been alerted. You and your brother are officially here for good but Tahmunrah is only staying for five months. I’m sorry” Larry explained, Ahk didn't give Nick any warning as he slumped back. Nick caught him and rubbed his back in comfort, Kah only smiled, he knew what his brother was feeling. He could see love anywhere. Larry shared a look with the older king. 

“Lawrence!” Teddy called from somewhere in the museum. 

“Sorry guys, duty calls” Larry said as he exited the room.

Kahmunrah whistled looking off to the side ignoring the growing blush on his brother's face. 

“Kah?” Hearing his name, Kahmunrah turned to see Ahkmenrah glaring at him. He smiled leaving the room with a mocking bow to his brother. Ahkmenrah sighed to himself, “Ahk?” The king sat up in fear he had done something wrong when a hand tilted his head up in the direction of the smiling Nick. A gentle blissful expression fell over Ahkmenrah’s face as soft lips connected with his, he pressed closer to the young man in front of him. Their heated kiss was broken by the door swinging open to reveal a disgruntled angry Larry. 

Nick was quick to back off, Ahk looked at him confused. Larry turned to see the two and sighed. “Sunrise is almost here. Nick, would you mind?” Larry gestured for his son to help Ahk. Nick nodded, helping a confused Ahk to his feet. The two walked at a slow pace down the corridor leading to the storage room where Kahmunrah was leaning against his sarcophagus, the older man had threatened Larry over Ahk and would soon be talking to Nick. The young man gulped looking at Ahkmenrah’s intimidating brother standing beside an equally daft Lancelot, the two seemed to be getting on for now. 

Nick went all the way and helped Ahkmenrah into his sarcophagus, the young man went to pull away when Ahk snatched his wrist. “Nick, what did I do wrong?” Ahk asked with worry. “Ahk, we can’t do this, you're dead. I’m alive, it won’t…” Nick couldn’t even finish as Ahk pushed him away lightly. “I understand” Ahk’s monotone voice fitted with his blank expression as the egyptian pulled the lid down himself. Nick frowned but before he could say anything Larry appeared with the lid for the box. Nick helped his dad manoeuvre it in place. 

The two were making their way out of the door when they bumped into Dr Mcphee who was already ordering the daily workers to get the egyptian wing set up and ready for its grand opening. The night guard shared a nod with Mcphee who gestured to Nicky. “Make sure you wear your uniform next time Mr Daley” Dr Mcphee said before escorting the builders up to the egyptian wing. Nick wore a confused expression while Larry laughed, “Looks like you have been hired, Nicky” The young man only sighed, picking up his backpack and heading for his apartment. His dad left in the opposite direction after they said their goodbyes.