Chapter 18

Cheers erupted from some while others mourned. It has taken Sacagawea a good few days to get Jed to leave his bedroom. Yep, the cowboy was heartbroken and wanted nothing to do with them as Octavius, the small statue which was left back at the museum had vanished with the glow. The museum was back to its normal thriving activities at the night time but not everyone was ready to return. Nick struggled to even get out of bed, he was so lost without his lover, a man that was missed by many. Ahkmenrah was a gentle soul taken too soon.

Kahmunrah was heartbroken and remained looking lost, he was holding Layla close to his chest. The female didn't utter a word, mourning in her own silence as Dr McPhee, Larry and Lancelot managed to get some things together and helped those in mourning. Even Dexter had lost his spirit. All of them were mourning in their own way, Merenkahre and Shepseheret were another story, the two were parents who had lost so much over the years only to gain it back but then lose it again.

It was only a few weeks later when Dr McPhee had put together a surprise for them all, a holiday which had been fully paid for and a chance to get their own space. Jed almost cursed the world away when he found out they were going to Italy, or more in fact Rome and he almost punched Lancelot when the knight pointed out it being Octavius' home. The cowboy searched inside for some positivity but felt like he was betraying his roman partner in some strange way, a feeling that he couldn’t describe settled in the pit of his stomach. When he tried to explain it to the others, the only one to understand was Nick who mirrored the same expression especially when Dr McPhee had gestured to a trip to Egypt in the future for Merenkahre, Shepseheret and Kahmunrah.

The flight was long and uneventful, all of them had packed for the week they would be away and would all be living in a huge villa which Dr McPhee owned. It was time away from the real world, all paid in honour of Ahkmenrah and Octavius. All were incredibly thankful and relaxed the holiday away. 

On the second day, Jed and Nick went for a walk around Rome, they took in the details. Well Nick did, Jed wasn't too bothered, it didn't feel right for him to come to a place that meant a lot to his lover who had died protecting them. Nick had vanished to go get them some hot drinks.

"It's a beautiful place" 

A voice had Jed snapping out of his thoughts, he had been leaning against a bannister which overlooked the colosseum. 

"Yeah" Jed tried to add only to hear chuckling.

"What's so funny?" Jed questioned the man beside him covering his head. 

"Just that you turned your back on a perfect view and agreed with me Jedidiah, something you never do…" 

"I did not,...wait! What? How do you know my name!?" Jed yelled at the individual who removed their hood revealing to be…

"Octo!" 

There standing in front of him was the roman, who smirked at him, he was dressed casually and still smart in the eyes of his cowboy who tugged him into a kiss. Octavius could do nothing but grin as he kissed Jed and pulled him closer. 

Clapping from the right had both heads turning to see a grinning Nick who was eager to hug the roman, Octavius grinned accepting the hug before allowing Jed to hold him. 

"So…? How?" Nick turned to Octavius who could only sigh. 

"I don't care, leave it for now kid" Jed said wrapping an arm around the roman, Octavius only smiled in thanks as they headed for the villa, taking the hundred of steps towards it. To the point that Jed found himself on Octavius back as the roman carried him, which gave him a lot to think about especially now that he had news to share with them all or more importantly Jed, it would alter their plans a little but he would power through it. He had to, if not for him but for a special god who had given him an extra chance at life.

As expected when they returned Octavius as much as he tried to avoid the hugs was pulled into them. Dexter wouldn't let go of his leg while Jed made sure Octavius was nearby at all times. The Egyptian family put fake smiles on their faces and the roman never took any offence. For a while Octavius avoided the topic of how he was alive even to the point he had retired early, heading for bed. Jed was quick to follow him only to find his partner sobbing curled up into a ball.

"I'm sorry…Jedidiah…I'm sorry…I'm so sorry, I know….the others wanted Ahk and not me…" 

"Hey, calm down Octo. Of course they want you…ignore them…you are loved…." Jed whispered, kissing his hairline, "now you want to tell me what you're so sorry about?" Jed could only wrap his arms around his partner. Octavius frowned trying to compose himself but remembering at the last second, he was safe and his shields didn't have to go up. Instead he could be his true self around his lover, his soulmate. None other that Jedidiah.

"The cost to come back was…." 

"Take your time Octo, I got you…" 

"A weak heart" 

Jed froze only to turn Octavius around and pull him close, the cowboy instantly held him. The two clung to one another as silence filled the room. 

"And Ahkmenrah?" Jed whispered, holding his partner close. 

"He…I…he…"

"It's okay, Octavius" 

"He will return…just in time…" Octavius could only wipe away his and Jedidiahs tears as he turned the tables and kissed his cowboy deeply. Without thinking Jed kissed back as he situated himself on top of his roman, the door was already locked leaving the two to get reacquainted. 

A long week had passed since their reunion with the roman who had to stay behind for Dr McPhee, the two claimed Octavius would be back in America soon, they just had to wait while the roman and director finished whatever they were doing which ended up being a month. So when Jed went to work one night for the night 'actors' he almost flew through the roof seeing his partner talking to children about ancient and modern Rome. He was quick to join and brush against his partner who grinned at him as Jed took over with cowboy stories in his famous accent, the one he kept for this type of thing. 

Octavius could only look on proudly until an ache in his chest had him excusing himself, the ache continued all the way to his apartment. Pain spread through his arms and chest as he reached his bedroom, thankfully his and Jed’s apartment was only a twenty minute walk away and easy to get to. His hand rushed to grab the medication he had which would help his heart, he filled the vial up and stabbed the needle into his arm before he slumped on the bed and allowed the darkness to slip into his vision. 

The last thing he came aware of was a flash of gold running towards him as his eyes shut for the night…

Okay, so this was late. My apologies. Only two chapters left and they should be much longer than this one!
Stick with me! Next chapter should be within two weeks (Maybe both will be posted - who knows )
The Feedback on this book is the only thing keeping it going so thank you :)