12.

Scarlett's POV
"But mommy, I don't want them to go." Rose pouts as Casey and Lizzie get ready for school. "I know baby but just because you don't have school, doesn't mean they don't." I say carefully, feeling bad for my daughter.

This weekend with Lizzie and Casey has been amazing. We watched movies, cooked dinner together and Casey and Rose have been getting along really well. "It's not fair." She exclaims before running off.

Casey looks at Rose with a sad smile. I crouch down in front of her as I tie her shoes. "Don't worry about it, Rose just has a bit of a temper." I smile genuinely. "Have fun at school, we'll be here when you get back." I bid them goodbye as they leave through the front door.

After cleaning up from breakfast, I walk to our room. Rose and I have been sharing a bed as well as Lizzie and Casey. I can't help but smile as I think about the two. I wonder if Lizzie sees it the same way I do.

"So what would you like to do?" I ask Rose after following her to the living area. "I'd like to play with Casey." She exclaims, a beaming smile appearing on her face.

I sit next to her with half a smile, taking a deep breath before properly talking to my daughter. "You and Casey get along pretty well don't you?" I ask get intently. She looks at me as if it was the weirdest question in the world.

"We do..." She answers cautiously. I nod my head as I purse my lips. "Have you noticed anything... Unusual about her?" I ask as I swallow away the lump in my throat.

I hate asking my daughter this, but Lizzie doesn't seem to see the same things I do. I'm hoping that Rose can confirm that I'm crazy, that it's all in my head. But I don't believe that's the case.

"She doesn't talk." Rose thinks out loud. "Sometimes I think she is about to talk but then she doesn't. She loves drawing, but she hates the eraser. She'd rather start over than erase a line."

"She is a bit slow but very smart. She helped me with my assigned homework and I'm older than her. She also looks at the door a lot. Whenever we're playing she always looks to the door before looking at me."

I try to hide the smile on my face because of my observant daughter, but I think that's pretty much impossible. "Does she get scared easily?" I ask her.

She nods her head as she recalls yesterday's events. "I accidentally dropped a book. She jumped up."

I swallow away the lump in my throat before using my acting skills. "How do you feel about some grocery shopping before we go to the park?" I ask cheerfully while standing up, making rose excitedly as well.

Lizzie's POV
"And that's why everyone is required to wear uniforms at this school." Miis Brook concludes today's lesson about peer pressure and bullying. It doesn't take long before Daniel's hand raises in the air.

Miss Brook opens her mouth while pointing at him, but closes it right away before looking at me. "Since Miss Olsen has a lot to learn, I think it will be great for her to answer the questions. She directs me to the class, motioning for me to step forward.

I do so with a heavy heart, already expecting the type of question Daniel is about to ask. Some would call it ironic, a bully asking questions about bullying. I take a deep breath before appointing Daniel, who is looking at me with a huge smirk.

"Thank you, Miss Olsen." He says faux kindly. "I'm wondering why everyone is required to wear a uniform, except for Casey."

I look at Casey whose head shot up from her notebook, reacting when her name is called out. She looks anxiously around the classroom, probably confused as to why everyone is looking at her. This question has actually been on my mind as well, but I was too afraid of the answer to ask.

So I look hopefully at Miss Brook, silently asking for her to answer the question. She steps forward with a deep sigh, answering the question. "As you all know, Casey is different from the rest of you. I have a personal agreement with Casey's grandmother. Casey is allowed to wear whatever she feels most comfortable in."

I can't help but wonder what the agreement is about exactly. I don't know if it was the right decision since she's already an outcast and this won't help her case, but I'm glad Mia made sure Casey feels somewhat comfortable in this school.

The class seems to accept the answer, continuing to ask questions of Miss Brook. I however keep my gaze on Casey, who thinks deeply before diverting her attention back to the notebook in front of her.

After the bell rang and every student except for Casey left, I noticed Miss Brook packing her things as well. "Lizzie, I have somewhere important to be, could you prepare for tomorrow's lesson? Everything is on the desk." She 'asks' before walking out of the door, not awaiting an answer.

I walk to the desk, reading over the papers she left behind. This is going to be a lot of work. My attention is caught by Casey who is gently tugging the sleeve of my sweater. She looks up at me with a warm smile, her backpack with her.

"I'm sorry Casey, it'll be a while before we can go." I smile sadly, watching her demeanour change. She takes off her backpack, taking out her sketchbook and turning a few pages before showing me a drawing of the park.

"Do you want to go to the park?" I ask her, making her nod excitedly. "I don't know Casey... I'm not sure if it's a good idea to go on your own." I state as I crouch down, knowing she has done it before.

I'm not sure how her grandmother felt comfortable letting a 6-year-old travel that distance alone. I know she's perfectly capable of doing it, but it still doesn't feel right. Will she even scream for help when a creep gets to her?

I shake off my thoughts, knowing my mind shouldn't go there. I smile genuinely at Casey who has a pleading look on her face. "Fine." I sigh with a wide smile, making her dance in victory. "I can't say no to you if you look at me like that." I mumble, but I'm pretty sure she heard it because her smile only grows wider.

"Did you agree on any rules with your grandmother?" I ask her, resulting in her head shaking no. "Well I don't want to be the bad guy, but I'm responsible for you, so we need to establish some rules okay?"

"Don't go anywhere with a stranger. I don't care what they say, never go with a stranger." I establish rule number one. She nods, leaning a bit closer as she listens carefully.

"If you get hurt you find an adult, preferably a woman who has kids herself, and you let her bring you back to me." I establish rule number two, making her look confused.

Casey's POV
I slowly nod my head, trying to hide my confusement to not disappoint Lizzie. I'm not allowed to go anywhere with strangers, but if I'm hurt I need to ask a stranger for help?

"Rule number three: Don't eat anything you find outside. If you're really hungry you can come back and I'll bring you some food from the cafeteria."

"Rule number four: Don't go anywhere else except for the school and the park, so I'll be able to find you." She ends, looking sternly at me. "Understood?" She asks when she notices I'm occupied with my own thoughts.

I reach out my hand for her to shake which she does so, relaxing a bit. Deal. I wave her goodbye, walking out of the class. But before I can reach the exit, she calls me back.

"Oh wait rule number five." She says with her hands on her lips, looking... Mad?

I try to swallow away my panic, not sure what I did wrong to make her mad. I didn't pause the news, forgot the dishes, broke something or asked for anything. At least, I don't think I asked for anything. Maybe she thinks she has to care for me.

I walk up to her, shaking my head. No, Lizzie, you don't have to care for me if you don't want to-

"Rule number five: Have fun." she smiles widely, making me relax instantly. I flash her a small smile before walking out of the classroom, starting the short journey to the park.