14.

Lizzie's POV
"I didn't do it." Scarlett mumbles beside me. I give her a confused look. Of course, I know she didn't do it.

"Scar maybe it's best if you finish dinner?" I state more than I ask. She nods and squeezes my shoulder in reassurance before making her way out of the bathroom.

Casey looks a bit confused but she seems to enjoy the bath. I'm not sure if it is wise to bring it up now, but I don't think I'm able to just ignore it.

I walk up to her and sit on the edge of the bathtub, stroking her hair behind her ear. "Casey, I would like to ask you a question." I begin, not wanting her to feel blindsided.

"You have some scars on your body. What happened?" I ask cautiously. She stops playing with the rubber duck, looking at the water in front of her before shrugging.

"Why didn't you tell me you were hurt?" I ask softly, earning me another shrug.

I take her hands in mine, getting my sleeves wet but I couldn't care less at this moment. She looks at me intently, a numb expression in her eyes.

"Did someone do this to you?"

Shrug.

I purse my lips together, not sure where to go from here. Who would even be capable of doing this to her? As far as I know, nobody takes care of her except for her grandmother, Scarlett and me. Scarlett didn't do it, I definitely didn't do it. Would her grandmother-

No Lizard don't you dare finish that sentence. Or would she?

I squeeze her hands a bit tighter, taking a deep breath myself. "Was it your grandmother?"I question hesitantly, but I regret it as soon as it leaves my mouth.

Her eyes turn from numb to fear within seconds. She shakes her head rapidly, pulling away her hands from mine.

I furrow my eyebrows as she begins to hit herself. I try to stop her but it is of no use. Before I can even think about it, I'm climbing inside the bathtub.

"You're okay, you're safe. I promise." I try to soothe her as I hold her arms so she can't hurt herself anymore. She starts to cry so I pull her more into me, holding her tight against my chest.

We sit there for what feels like an hour. All I know is that the water feels cold when Scarlett knocks on the door. "Dinner is ready." She mumbles softly. I look at Casey who has seemed to calm down fully.

I get out of the bath in my drenched clothes, taking her with me. I open the door, revealing a distressed Scarlett. She looks utterly confused when she sees me soaking wet. "Could you get me some dry clothes and a towel?" I ask her.

She nods before closing the door, leaving me and Casey. I dry her with a towel, being extra careful around her wounds. I try to identify what could've caused it, but I'm not sure. It's on the tip of my tongue, I eventually decide not to dwell on it for Casey's sake.

Scarlett walks in after Casey is all done and she hands me my clothes. She takes Casey downstairs as I get changed. Once I'm done I look into the mirror, letting out a few sobs. "What am I supposed to do?" I mumble between shaky breaths.

I tell myself to act as if nothing happened, get some dinner, take the girls to bed and have a good conversation with Scar when it's just the two of us. If necessary I can always call my mother for some more advice, she'll know what to do.

One thing is certain, I'll make sure nobody will ever hurt her again.

I put my soaked clothes in the laundry basket, walking up to my room to empty the basket there. I make sure to check my closet and that's when realisation hits me.