Dec 4th; It's That Time Of Year Again

I do not own any of the characters or places mentioned, I am just having a bit of fun with them for a little while!

This story was written in correlation with MagicofNarnia's posted prompt list, which also does not belong to me.

Susan age, 16
Edmund age, 14

"Hey Susan, take a look at those clouds. Maybe we should go back home."

After glancing at the menacing Grey clouds that were darkening the sky, Susan nodded her head in agreement saying, "Yes, we had probably better."

Turning their horses, Susan and Edmund rode back in the direction of Cair Parevel.

They had not been riding for even five minutes when a snowflake apeared and nipped at Edmunds nose.

"Well I guess it's that time of year again, it's starting to snow." He commented with a smile.

Susan glanced at her brother in surprise, "And that doesn't bother you?"

Edmund glanced at her quizicly, "No, why would it?"

"Well, I just thought that, well........."

Edmund looked confused for several seconds before a look of understanding crossed his face and he became solemn.

"You mean with the White Witch and all?"

Susan looked embarrassed, but she nodded.

Edmund smiled gently at her, saying, "Its all right Susan, you don't need to worry about scaring me, I'm all right now. The snow just doesn't bother me anymore."

"Why not? I mean, if you don't mind me asking." Susan asked curiously.

Edmund smiled quietly and replied, "I used to be scared of winter, but more importantly, I used to be afraid of all it represented for me. But during our second winter here, I realized I could not allow myself to be afraid of someone who was no longer alive. For even though my body was free, my spirit was still her captive. In the end though, I realized that her winter was not the same as a natural one. There's something about the way it feels in my bones that makes it different. After that, all I had to was remind myself that this was a natural winter, and that had its own beauties and drawbacks just like any other season."

Edmund was silent for a moment before he contenued, "Because you see Susan, the only way we get the magnificance of spring, the brilliance or summer, and beauty of fall, is by having the splendor of winter."

Susan smiled broadly at him, "When did you become so wise, brother?"

Edmund grinned mischievously at her and countered, "When did you become so nosy, sister?"

Susan threw back her head and laughed, and Edmund heartily joined her.

The sounds of their laughter echoed in the humming of the cold winters air as they rode back to the castle.