Break Him Like a Doll

Two days later we were in that same position, only this time in Paul's bed. He was fast asleep and I lay awake, having already woken up for the day. I felt my phone begin to vibrate near my ankle and carefully wiggled out of his arms, reaching for the object I had thrown down there last night. It was a new number, I've never seen it before. 

"Hello?" I picked up, curious who could've gotten my number. 

"Is this Sky?" Why did I know that voice? 

"Yes, who's this?" I kept my voice low, not wanting to wake Paul. 

"It's Edward Cullen." I rolled my eyes and considered hanging up immediately but decided to hear him out. 

"How did you get my number?" I asked quickly because I never would've given it to him. 

"Bella gave it to me." I glared at Paul's wall, slightly annoyed that Bella would just give my number away to someone she knew I hated. 

"Bella was supposed to lose my number." I heard him sigh on the other end before he spoke again. 

"It's important, Sky. I wouldn't have called if it wasn't." 

"Get on with it then." I demanded, annoyed that I had left Paul's side for a conversation with a leech. 

"Someone has been in Bella's room. And they aren't human." This woke me up. I may have failed to catch Victoria for the moment, but I won't fail to get another. 

"You want me to track them?" I asked, trying to guess why he had called me in particular. 

"No, their already long gone. Jasper and Emmet have already tried." Aw. That's disappointing.

"Then what do you need me for?" I questioned, looking over at Paul's sleeping face. He looked so calm, his normal hard expression gone. 

"I want to see if you recognize the scent, maybe see if you've found it on your guys side." 

"And I'm guessing you don't want to call Jake because of he and Bella's fight?" Jacob wouldn't shut up about how he had screwed up and that Bella hated him, but I guess that was a good thing, maybe his feelings for me were gone since he was so worried about her. I never did tell him that I knew about that. 

"They cleared that up about ten minutes ago actually." He informed me. 

That didn't explain why he needed me but I decided to ignore my confusion as I sighed and agreed come to Bella's, letting him thank me before hanging up. I got up carefully, throwing on a pair of my jeans that I kept here and my tennis shoes before pulling Paul's sweatshirt over my head. I left his small bedroom and went into the bathroom, tossing my hair into a messy bun before going back to Paul's room. 

I felt bad, leaving him like this. I shook off the feeling and went into the kitchen, grabbing an apple and biting into it. Did I really trust Edward enough to be the same house as him, let alone the same room? And so far from the pack? What if it was a trick? What if Victoria was holding Bella hostage and threatened him? 

Deep down I knew I was overthinking this, but life has taught me that there was no such thing as being too careful. I tried to push my thoughts away as I finished my apple and subconsciously began to procrastinate so I wouldn't have to leave. "What's wrong Princess?" The sleepy voice made a small scream escape my lips as I jumped. 

"You ok?" Paul asked from the doorframe he was leaned against. He had shorts on and that's it. I went over and wrapped my arms around him, some of my worry disappearing immediately at his touch. 

"Edward called me." I told him. 

"That leech? Was he bothering you?" He was immediately defensive and it made me feel better. I knew he wouldn't let them hurt me.