Free Time

Authors note;
So, I don't think I made it clear, but expect either really long or really short stories. I'm just trying to write freely without stressing. Thanks for your patience and understanding!

You remember what Dave, your coworker, said as you wander to the daycare.

"The daycare attendant's programming, as of late, has caused some weird behaviours. No more proper complaints about them have come up and around children they're great, but alone? They act more human than any other animatronic, and that's saying something!"

These words echo through your head as you push open the fire escape esque doors, wandering in. You've seen some of the animatronics in action- there's no doubt to be had, they do act as human as you- but to have a genuine concern be brought up about them?

Well, that was news to you. Your job as a mechanic meant you saw each mechanical thing you engineered as your child: you lovingly handcrafted each, your sweat, blood and tears poured into each part. Of course, you didn't engineer these particular animatronics, but you still felt attached.

You pause at the shutters, waiting for them to open. Slowly, they were rising, and the theme song of the daycare floated through. You smiled; visiting Sun was something you did not get to do often, but found yourself walking away from the interaction happier than the last.

That's probably why you practically ran to the slide, almost jumping down it and getting stuck in your haste to see him.

"SUNNY, I'M HOME!" You holler, jokingly: a play on words from the classic "honey, I'm home!" You've seen in movies. You've crash landed in the ball pit, and now wade through frantically, excitement pulsing through your veins.

Looking up, you see the play structures- and nearly faint when you see Sun on top, scrambling to get down. In seconds you're out of the ball pit, rushing over to where Sun is- skillfully... Climbing... Down...?

You're frozen still as he skips over, no damage done to his fragile metal body. "Hi! It's good to see you again, friend!" He chuckles, scooping you up and whirling you around. You vaguely remember giving him an upgrade to be more aware of the volume of his voice, and some other small knick knacks to make him safer for children, but you'd never properly seen it, only heard about it from your colleagues in the break room.

He sets your dazed form down gently, rocking back and forth. His heightened anxiety seemed near enough gone, and overall the attitude seemed very-

"Human..." You mumbled. He'd stopped rocking to tilt his head, "Whatever could you mean, friend? Are we playing a game, like word association?" You shook yourself mentally and cracked a nervous smile, looking up at him. "I came to hang out with you! Make sure everything is working right, and if it's not I can't fix you up, you know?"

He watches you for a moment more, almost completely still. You know he doesn't mean to come across that way, he's just so fucking creepy sometimes. You shift uncomfortably under his gaze, adding "But I'm mainly here for you, cause you're my best friend."

Sun rocked back, and as he came forward he leaned down to eye level, not too close for comfort but not so far he looked stupid. "Both of us?" His tone held hope, desire and it made you uneasy. It felt like no matter your answer, you'd be certain to die.

You pushed this out of your mind by raising a hand and cupping Sun's face plate. Taking a deep breath, you let your eyes fall shut and rested your forehead against his faceplate. "Both of you are my very best friends. I mean it."

All was silent, disrupted only by your breathing and the daycare theme. You pull away after a moment, your hand dropping to your side: it felt weirdly intimate and spiralling into something awkward. Sun doesn't notice this- he squeaks with joy, righting his position and balling his hands into fists, shaking them near his face.

It reminded you of some cliché fangirl type behaviour, but you let it slide. You needed to get back on task; the daycare attendant is great, but you feel like sleeping tonight. "What games do you want to play?"

Sun looks like he's about to explode.