Chapter 9

Margaret

Upon entering the bar, Roxanna was brimming with chatter. Noticing that they remodeled the entire space, making it more sophisticated. It looked more like a fancy restaurant, rather than a bar. Somehow, the entire space was bigger, and faux wooden planks were now replaced by the mahogany red carpets, but beyond the crowd, I couldn't see anything else. Dimmed light, only mildly enhanced by the cigarette smoke and smell of alcohol. It all so reminded me of my days when I was a teenager. I used to love standing in the first line, in front of the bands. I didn't care if it would damage my hearing, I simply loved the mastery of their lithe fingers, skillfully conjuring tunes, or the gritty, bluesy voice paired up with dynamic stage performances that were pronounced by their expressive body movements. My two best friends at the time, Josie and Clarissa were always up for mischief, and I eagerly followed. Too bad our lifestyles separated us. Or maybe, it was for the better. 

Looking at the crowd, a bystander would never have said that most people in the city are miserable, only distracted by occasional entertainment such as this one. And when the entertainment wouldn't work, they would run a "relief campaign" in the form of a half-annual post-forgiveness for the most vulnerable people. Word on the street was even for that aid, you needed connections. Years ago, I couldn't believe that was all it took to keep people pacified. I still don't, but clearly, it's working.

Cornelius was not up for singing yet, but I didn't come here because of Cornelius. 

I came because of him.

Carefully, following the staff, I figured out where the kitchen was, and I decided to mentally map out the vents that were leading to it. Tracking them, I was led to a small backyard, from the side entrance. I haven't exactly managed to keep my weight on the lighter side, and looking into the tight space that was the entrance of the vent system, it was not going to be easy.  Cutting through the claustrophobia was something I never liked, especially when I am going in blind.

Alright, now I go left.....

Retracing my steps, I finally heard the loud music coming from the place. Grateful for it masking my less-than-gracious crawling, I managed to crawl to the small opening. Taking a peek just to see where I was, I could see that I was right above the kitchen, and the workers were still scrambling. 

"Stop!"

The manager walked inside, holding his stomach. The whole staff froze on the spot. Everyone knew who Jefa Tenski was, and so did I. He was my own client back in the day. He loved women, but he loved food even more. He started throwing up on the spot, and almost stumbled, held back by a friend. I took out the small vial of ipecac syrup, placed a soft kiss on the glass, then pushed it back into my pocket. 

"Please, sir..." Probably the chef of this establishment, pleading for the manager to calm down. 

"Let's talk about this, I am sure that this has nothing to do....."

"You have poisoned me, and thankfully, this food didn't reach Cornelius or Mr. Montangue. Whole staff out, I am sending an android to check everything!"

Bingo. 

"Mr. Tenski, please...If we do not get ready..."

"If you think that losing your job is the worst thing that could happen if this food did reach them, you are deadly mistaken. We still have half an hour. Let's get moving."

Not all of my poisons were deadly. Some were just annoying. 

Staff went out, and observing the blue android, I could see that it never checked the drinks or foods for a second time. Now, from what I observed, Ace drank from a black rock glass, every time. The waiter would always carry those into the VIP area. They were incredibly expensive, as what gave the color black to the glasses was onyx crystal.  And of course, they didn't have only one such glass.

They had five, elevated from the rest on the top shelves.

I snuck up under the table, so the android wouldn't notice me. Breaking the glass would be too loud, so I took a tray, and one by one, I took 4 black glasses onto the tray. As I reached for the fifth, a voice interrupted me.

"What are you doing?"