Chapter 47

Margaret

Just as I thought I saw the thread of my life being cut, I was let go. I fell on my knees, and my captor had no such grace. As I tried to gasp for air, I realized that he had a knife stabbed into his back.

„Margaret, stay with me." Gentle hands cupped my cheeks, and finally, I realized that Ace was crouching in front of me.

„Ace..there is one more.." He took out the dagger I had and threw it into the eye socket of the last guy.

After all of the action, Jett's crew came.
„What the hell happened here?" Anne spoke first.

They were scanning the space now, and besides two injured people, no one was seriously hurt. Thankfully.

„Your shitty security failed that is what happened!" Ace spoke, and he was furious. The vein on his temple bulged, but his hands were still holding me gently.

A complete contrast between the body parts.

Some people were frozen in place, and some ran as soon as everything was over. There was an aura of contempt mixed with gratitude from the town folk.

„I can assure everyone, we will look into this swiftly!"

„You can't assure shit." An older man spoke. „If it weren't for these two, we would be dead."

„No, we wouldn't! They started it!" A woman spoke among the crowd pointing a finger toward us. The same woman was crouching fearfully holding her daughter.

The initial shock of her accusation, replaced by a small sense of betrayal punched at my gut.

„You ungrateful bitch!" I couldn't hold myself back at this point and started to prop myself up.

„Your own daughter was held at gunpoint, and if it weren't for her, she would have been dead!"Ace defended.

„No, she wouldn't! They said that they would not hurt us!"

I stood up now, the remains of adrenaline were only fuel to my exhausted legs.

„Did you really want to gamble with that? If you were so sure, then why were you cowering behind a bench and why didn't you go and save your daughter?" Venomously, I replied.

I approached her, and she pulled her daughter behind her as if I were a threat.

„I would kill for my daughter every time, but I can see that not everyone should have a child, you shitty excuse of a mother."

I eyed her up and down, and she was left speechless, that's when I turned to Jett. He was fighting to stay calm.

„Quite a law enforces you bunch. I would not have left as little as a stone on your watch." With that, I left.