Chapter 68

Margaret

No one spoke for a good minute, then he crossed his arms and then continued. Red light enhanced his features, his broad shoulders, cheekbones, and his eyebrows.

"Margaret, you like to talk about trust but what about your secrets? When did you want to tell me that you were jumping from universe to universe 7 times? "

"I tried alright...I wanted to, but whenever I did, it was as if something got in the way.. "

"We spent time together, running away and in captivity. We have been through so much in a short period of time, and you had time to tell me if you wanted to but you didn't. Do you know how heartbroken I was when I find out that with each jump, your life expectancy is depleted by 5 years in the next universe?  Relinquishing my status renders me helpless to jump to your aid, should you need it, please see sensibility in this."

Perhaps I should have been more forthcoming with my secret, but even with my secret in the open, Lilith is still functional. 

"Ace, are you seriously shifting blame towards me for your complacency?"

He looked at me in exasperation.

"It's not about blaming Margaret, or debts! " His voice breaking. "I care about you! I had the person who I hated the most in the whole world tell me that. Do you know how it made me feel? Everything I wanted to do, I didn't see any point in. I didn't want to change this world because it would be pointless as I would be useless in that world to the woman that I love."

His proclamation of loving me felt empty. It seems that just love is not enough sometimes.

"Ace, please don't lie to me, I am not an idiot or a child that you can fool. It was your selfishness that prevented you from doing anything. And if you think you felt bad, well imagine how I felt when I found out that Alin died and you did nothing, but instead you took shiny photographs looking happier than ever."

He clenched his jaw.

"If you want me to deny that this truth about you had no impact on my apathy towards Rintalis, you will never hear it. "

I narrowed my eyes at him.

"You speak of loving me, but here you are aware of the truth about me, not caring to make the change that you are capable of. What kind of cruelty is that where you don't care how I spend my last days? And even if I needed you, you were just as capable with and without your assets."

He narrowed his eyes at that. 

"So you are telling me that the reason why you were with me was so that I can change something, and not because you fell in love with me, the person that I am already? Are you seriously measuring my love for you, and your feelings toward me, with what I am capable of doing for society? Margaret, I never based my feelings on what you can do for me, but you did that to me it seems. In fact, it hurt me how you ignored me when I didn't do what you asked of me. And yes, I didn't do what was objectively right to do, but I promised you that you wouldn't suffer because of it, but you didn't allow me to help you. You treated me like some dirt on your shoe that wasn't even worth your time instead. "

I bit inside of my cheek. Perhaps I too was superficial.

"Listen, I didn't come here to argue, or throw accusations. I came here with one task and one task only, and that is to see my daughter, and I will not turn back. "

Ace swallowed at my words.

"Margaret...I need you to understand what you are asking of me. You are saying that I need to separate one of his guards from him when they are in fact like his fortress. If I did something like that, they will think that I am attempting to harm him. "

"Well, it's my lucky day considering that you are pretty capable when it comes to fooling people, so I expect you to use your skills well. " I spit my venom.

The emergency light went off, and the metal shades were raised. A knock at the door followed right after.

"As much as I would like to help you, I would have to delay the meeting with the vice president. "

"Why? "

"Because of what happened just now. I don't believe it was simply a coincidence. Whether or not it was you who brought someone with you, I can't allow him to be endangered in SierraTech. "

I scoffed in disappointment. Even though I saw his reasoning, it offended me.

"So you will not assist me in meeting my daughter?"

I didn't even finish speaking, and the guards busted the room.

"Is everything okay sir? "

"Oh yes, can you please take this lady to the sector B? "

I shoot my eyes in disbelief, fighting them would be futile.

"You asshole! "

They went in to grab me, but I decided to keep whatever dignity I had.

"I can walk by myself. Show me the way. "

We took the elevator, and when I saw the floor it was -13.

"How the fuck am I supposed to get out of this? "