Chapter 25

Ace

I couldn't ease myself in the false security that this hotel room provided. I knew that Alin will find us eventually, but I just hoped that I will endure until the second residence is free. As long as there is heat on me, I made a resolution not to sleep in the same place for more than two nights in a row. Alin will probably also expect me to escape through the border, so I needed to sway his direction of focus away from it. 

I thought that my eyes fooled me when I saw that rain started falling. Looking through the tiny droplets on the glass, distorted the view if one gazed through them. How long has it been since it last rained? Probably not since the night Alin grabbed me by the wrist, pulling me away from my mother. 

Something in the sound of rain transported me back to the playground of that evening. Three large SUVs screeched their tires, letting out the hornets that were his henchmen. 

She said everything was fine, but I should not have trusted her words. I should have trusted the tears that fell from hers and the silent fury on my brother's face. I should have wondered why were they kneeling in the mud when everyone else was standing straight. 

But such is a naivety of a child.

Even though a melancholic sight, the same rain was probably acidic. 

I let my ears be caressed by the melody provided by the sky. 

●▬▬▬▬๑●▬▬▬▬๑●▬▬▬▬๑●▬▬▬▬๑●▬▬▬▬๑●▬▬▬▬๑●▬▬▬▬๑

"Mr.Mountague?"

Margaret called me.

"I feel uncomfortable sleeping in the same room as you do. I will sleep on the couch if you don't mind."

I had no intentions of sleeping on the bed together with her, and in fact, I was the one who was going to take the couch anyways, even though, a primal part of me wished that she didn't ask what she just did.

"No. I will take a couch, Margaret, you need to rest."

"Absolutely not! I completely understand you want to be a gentleman and everything, and I do appreciate what you are trying to do, but I would sleep better on the couch."

Perplexing is one of the words I would describe Margaret. Stubborn would be the second.

"Fine. There is a couch in the living room. Please make yourself comfortable."

"Yeah, yeah thanks."

She took one of the sheets and pillow with her, and then moved to the bedroom, quickly saying good night. I worry about her, more than I would like to admit.