Chapter 58

Warning -This chapter can be triggering to some readers.

Margaret

It has been one week since I last saw Maryam and Ace.

I left Adamo and returned to my old place. The bounty on Ace had been pulled back. I was completely out of ideas or plans, but instead like some stray animal, I hid. I gave up. I didn't go after anyone, and no one came after me. Ace spammed me with his texts insisting we talked. But for the life of me, I couldn't respond to him so he gave up eventually. Considering that nothing changed, I presume that Ace gave up on whatever revenge he wanted to do against his father, and whatever plan he had.

What happened between us was merely a diversion from what we were, and I suppose we both pretended that we could be someone else.

Maryam was alive, and I was happy about that, even though she wasn't with me. Even though she didn't know the truth.

Maybe that is truly what needed to happen.

Maybe everything I have been doing was in vain.

I sat on the cold kitchen floor, curled up, and haven't eaten for two days.

I reached into my pocket, and when I took out the pills, I realized I had 20 more.

2 Pills were not enough anymore, and the maximum that I could take per day was 8, if I didn't want my liver to suffer.

Too bad I didn't care about my liver anymore. Too bad I didn't care about anything anymore.

Nobody will care if I am gone, and even if they do, I don't care.

 Putting all pills in my hand, I filled a glass of wine, raised it, and made a toast with an invisible guest.

"Here is to everything that could happen, and everything that couldn't. "

My lids were heavy, I didn't want to fight their weight, so I gave in.