Getting My Mind Off Of It...

Mariah POV...around noon

Yet another failed attempt waiting to happen. I've called Anthony 10 times in the last hour. I've finally gotten the courage to break up with him, and he isn't answering. I tried dialing again. Ring, Ring, Ring. "Hey Mariah!" A voice I didn't recognize said. "Uh, who is this, and where is Anthony?" I got kind of worried because I heard a mild beeping in the background. "It's his mother, Teresa." She is so nice; when my dad came home and I was having problems there she let me stay with Anthony. "Oh, what's that beeping in the background?" The line grew silent. "Mrs. Jackson?" The beeping grew louder and the line went dead. What the fire truck is going on?

I scrolled through my contacts and found Malcolm's number. Don't ask me why I have it; I have a history with Malcolm...long story. "Wild for the Night, f*ck being polite!" The ringtone for calling him is. "Hello, Malcolm speaking. Talk." He knows he needs to stop. "Where is Anthony?" I was afraid of his response. The television on his line turned up. "Witness says they heard several gun shots and screaming. The name of the victim is Anthony Jackson." It felt like my heart broke in two and sank to my feet. "Mariah, you okay?" This dumba*s. "Mhm, so he's in the hospital?" I ask stupid questions when I'm nervous. "Yeah, I went to go visit him earlier. He got shot in his left arm and left thigh." I wonder what side of Miami he was on. "What's his condition?" I'm a nervous wreck right now. Malcolm didn't say anything. "Malcolm!" I yelled through the phone, I felt his voice jump a little. "Fair, the left side of his body is paralyzed." I hung up, I can't believe this.

Someone knocked on my door and walked in. "You heard about Anthony?" I shook my head with tears coming out my eyes. She gave me a faint smile. Next thing I known Trey peaked his head in my door. "Hey. Your mom told me about it." He came and sat next to me. Trey put his arms around me in a cuddling position.

Trey POV

I kissed her cheek near her lips. "Babe, it's not the end of the world." Just trying to ease the situation. "It is for him!" She got out of my grip. "Mariah, worry about you, he's in Miami. There isn't anything you can do." I don't think I'm easing the situation. "How? He's what I care about." I turned my head away from her. I guess she got the memo how I felt. "Trey, I didn't mean it like that." She moved my face towards her. "I get it Mariah, it's cool." She smiled weakly as our lips meet and released a minute later.

I'm just trying to take Mariah way from Anthony aren't I? I feel more good than bad about it. I mean Anthony can't serve his 'lady' justice in Miami while she's in LA. Someone's got to do it, and I am going to do it.

"I want to take you out to get your mind off of...you know," She shook her head and looked down. I wiped a tear that was coming down her cheek. "I got the perfect place." Her head shot up. I stood up and walked out, signaling for her to go get ready.

I walked down the stairs taking a seat on the couch in the living room. "Hey Trey." Her mom said to me as I pulled my phone out. "Hey." I didn't feel like talking, I just wanted to make Mariah happy. About 20 minutes later Mariah came out. "Hey Beautiful." I noticed her blushing. "Trey don't try anything." Her mom called out from her bedroom. "Don't worry, I won't." Mariah smirked as I grabbed her hand and interlocked it with mine.

We walked across the street to my car. I opened the passenger side for her, she got in and I shut it. I got in on my side and cranked the car up with that I backed out of the driveway. "So where we headed?" She said looking at me. "Downtown, there's this place." I said returning the look.

I grabbed my LONG.LIVE.A$AP album from the glove department and popped it in the CD player in the car. Long.Live.A$AP was the first one. Mariah got excited. "So you like A$AP?" She looked at me with a 'you just asked that' face. "Yeah, that's the n*gga." She said reaching for the volume dial, turning it up. "True." I said. She turned it to the eighth track on the album, Wild for the Night. "Wake up feeling blessed up, pistol on that dresser. Ain't afraid to show it, I'll expose it if I dressed up. Riding in that Testarossa, n*ggas catch up. Sipping on the syrup, till I'm messed up, like yes sir. Now I'm getting change, people looking at me strange. Like n*gga switching lanes, never changed, still the same. We f*ck b*tches get paper, we f*ck n*ggas on papers. Walk around with lasers, you probably own some tasers. Lame n*ggas disgrace us, they girlfriend want to date us. Got different h*es, I'm pimping h*es. You could tell by my paystubs. My n*ggas getting right, smoking weed with dirty sprite." She said in a deep voice. I don't know it just turned me on for some strange reason.