14

Eilith hadn't been sure about Raghnall, would she be able to secretly follow Adar and his legion if he was by her side? She couldn't bare the thought of letting him go, also because she wasn't sure if Raghnall would be safe. What about wolfs and the likes or was she looking for excuses to keep him? Supposedly! She needed to make a plan so that the two of them would be able to stay together. If they too travelled during the night, that would already be a better cover, this way she would also be able to know Adar's exact moves and be by his side should he need her. She hoped it would be alright for Raghnall, for herself it would be a big change but she could reason that it was only for a certain amount of time.
To be even less noticeable she cast another invisibility spell over a set of clothing. She fashioned herself a mask aswell. Her skin was quite fair, so at night time, it might show if not covered. Her cape that she'd used before was transformed into a cover for Raghnall. Not everything was covered now but for the rest, she counted on the night. Sounds wouldn't be a problem for the noises Adar's legion was making were so great, nobody would hear her.

The journeying onward was slow, so Eilith walked most of the time carefully leading Raghnall. It was better to be safe than sorry. One could never know what was lurking in the dark and there was also a chance that Adar was suspicious and would send out scouts every so often, she wanted to be prepared for everything.

Two nights later they arrived where Sauron was gathering his army. The area that was covered with logfires, tends and various other things, including creatures of all sorts, was gigantic. It was going to be quite a task to look after Adar in all of this!

Quickly she found a place to hide Raghnall, cast a protection spell around him and than followed Adar into the crowed. As soon as the sun would come up, she would return to Raghnall. Following Adar through the crowed wasn't easy because although she was invisible, her body was still solid. Should anybody bump into her they would hopefully just be confused but maybe realise that there was an invisible object. So Eilith had to be very much on her guard, dogging creatures as she moved forward. Eiliths uneasiness grew the further they went into the camp because the presence of evil got stronger and stronger and it was as if an Iron fist was closing around her heart.

ADAR

The hardest decision he had ever made, had been to send Eilith away. Especially because she really wanted to stay. A small part of him wanted her to stay too, also because having her by his side made him feel invincible but he knew that a time might come when he would regret letting her stay, when maybe she was taken from him and than there wouldn't be any Eilith anymore and if there wasn't any Eilith, there wasn't a reason to live. No, he needed her to be safe!
He was confused by the way she acted when it was time for her to leave. Her emotions seemed rather placid and she wouldn't swear on going back... he feared that she was perhaps upset with him. He hated the fact that their parting had been such. But, she had sworn that she loved him! He clung to that!

Now that he had seen her for a while, it felt again as if she was nearby. It was a comforting feeling.

The sight of Sauron's army was familiar, yet he felt detached this time. He didn't belong anymore, at least he wanted to see it that way!

Sauron's tend was pitched right at the centre of the army, it was here he would have to report for duty.
On their way there, he came across Lethauri, he suddenly appeared in front of Adar.

"What took you so long?" Lethauri's voice was unreadable. Adar's heart had felt a strong tuck when he saw Lethauri. Now that Adar was able to distinguish feelings once again, he realised how much he cared for him. He was like a brother! Adar would have loved to hug Lethauri, reasure him, that there was goodness yet to behold in this world and that he would do anything to protect him. Lethauri's face was cold though and Adar knew that at the present time he couldn't trust him.

"There had been some holdups," Adar said trying to sound as detached as possible. He had to keep his guard. Some of Adar's children were now welcomed by Lethauri's children. For a moment this reminded him of the time they all had to perform their duty, to ensure Morgoth had plenty of soldiers. Each one of them disposable.. all of this had been and was one of the greatest evil Adar could think of!
Thankfully Morgoth was no longer a thread, but Sauron had stepped into his shoes. He had to be stopped! But how, he hadn't quite figured out.

"I'll say," Lethauri replied. "Sauron isn't pleased." He made to follow Adar.

"It's good to see you Lethauri, " Adar suddenly said. The words had come out before he could stop them. Lethauri gave him a slightly puzzled look. The 'old' Adar wouldn't have said such a thing. Nevermind, maybe just maybe these words were somehow reaching Lethauri's heart. Maybe at a later stage he would be able to talk to Lethauri and convince him to join forces against Sauron.
Lethauri had always been the older, stronger and more popular one but now Adar felt like his older brother, wanting to restore in Lethauri that, which had been broken in both of them but in Adar it had begun to heal. Wanting to help Lethauri was another thing that helped Adar to feel strong now.

He dreaded facing Sauron! He felt small infront of the evil Sauron was emiting. It reminded him of Morgoth and this caused him to feel like that scared, helpless boy he had once been.
But, he was no longer a boy. He had been hardened... and now he had experienced a softness that was even stronger than hard.

Sauron ignored them at first. Adar wasn't intimidated by this, it was a strategy he himself had used before. As a matter of fact, it gave Adar a moment to think of a beautiful moment with Eilith. Yes, he was going to face Sauron with that beauty and the love he was holding. A good strong position!

"So," Sauron got up from where he had been sitting. He wiped his mouth with a cloth, he had been eating.
" You finally decided to join us than." His voice sounded dangerous, he wasn't pleased. "What took you so long?"

He stepped infront of Adar, his face really close to Adar's face. Another strategy, it was supposed to be intimidating. Adar didn't flinch and he was holding Sauron's gaze.

"There have been holdups." He said matter of factually.

Sauron waited for a moment obviously expecting more. Maybe a hastily stumbled excuse... but Adar had nothing else to say.
He had wanted to be more compliant but now, standing here, he could no longer stoop down. He wasn't sure what reaction to expect but it was anyway a gamble. Evil never played by any rules, so it didn't matter what and how he behaved, Sauron could react in any way possible.

Sauron glared at him for a moment, than he actually retreated. "Holdups," he exclaimed. Than he mustered Adar for a while allowing more space between them now. "You have changed," he said, "Stronger... that's good, I need strong leaders."

Adar was relieved and felt even more empowered. Evil had lost its grip on him, hopefully for good. Sauron turned around, the audience was over.

Now they had to put up camp. It was important for Adar to be close to Lethauri. To his surprise Lethauri agreed to this. So all of Lethauri's children cramped in, to make room for Adar's legion. They didn't mind, there was a fondness between them. Adar had never noticed this before but although the uruk's were dim-witted and gullible, they knew somehow how to care. Their care was basic but it existed. Adar realised that they behaved how they were taught to behave. He wondered, if they were taught to be kind, would they be able to?
With the first shades of the sunrise, the camp started to go quiet. Adar was lying on his bunk bed, he hated the feeling of evil all around him but somehow it felt as if Eilith was there too radiating a goodness so strong it comforted him. He fell asleep with hope in his heart.