25

𝖈𝖚𝖗𝖗𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖑𝖞 𝖑𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖊𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖙𝖔: 𝖑𝖎𝖕𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖈𝖐 - 𝖓𝖈𝖙 127

the next few hours were a blur for chenle.

all he did was paint to block out the inevitable, but he came back to his senses when there was a sharp knock on his door.

chenle stood up as fast as he could, blocking the painting from view, and his mother opened the door.

"it is time. get ready."

he had never seen her so distraught.

she scampered off down the hallway, which gave him time to look at what he had painted.

it was jisung.

he had managed to capture the soft look in his eyes perfectly, and a light smile was present on his face.

"i hope i get to show you this, ji."

and he began to get ready.

👑

he hadn't worn such garments in a while, and he hated them so much.

standing in the hall and watching the cart open felt like a lifetime.

all he could think about was jisung.

he would be used as their primary attack, and he can't bear to think about him facing all those swords.

he didn't want to see him get hurt.

he didn't want to see him die.

chenle thought back to jisung being a puppet. he's going to kill so many people, like sungho, and he can't do anything about it.

holding back a tear, he was suddenly ushered forward into the cart, sitting down inbetween his mother and father, with sungho and the army general opposite them.

the horses started to move, and out of the window, chenle saw armoured men lining the streets, some with shields.

so many of them weren't going to make it.

with a sad smile, he watched as they followed the cart, marching in sync for as far as the eye could see.

so many of these were fathers, sons and grandsons.

not bearing to think about it anymore, he turned his head away and looked down, shutting his eyes and wishing to go to sleep.

👑

light poured in from the back of the cart.

opening his eyes, he saw his father exit the now open door, and climb onto his horse.

his mother did the same, and now it was his turn.

with shaky legs, he shuffled out of the cart, and hoisted himself onto his own horse, before looking to his right and taking in the sight.

the armoured men were filtering into the field infront of them, making straight rows tens deep.

they were so dense that even on a horse, he couldn't see the opposition, and was honestly glad that he couldn't tell they were there.

however, he was the prince. he had to lead the army from infront of them, facing their untimely death.

he hoped it wouldn't be.

the king's horse started to move to the army, and like the red sea, the soldiers parted way for him.

chenle's horse followed closely, until they were positioned at the front of the pack.