Chapter 5: A Group Counterattack

After calling them out, Jack, Briar, and the others end up earning everyone's attention, including Azul, Jade and Floyd's attention.

"Oh, are you...?" Azul question.

But notices Jack's head, "No, I don't see an anemone on your head. I'm afraid we're having a staff meeting right now. If you don't have a stake in this matter, I must ask your leave for us to sort this out internally."

Jack growls in anger, "Grrr... You think I don't have a stake in this? I was planning on studying on my own and out scoring these guys in a fair competition. And now you've ruined that. I think I DO have a stake in here!"

This drew concern for Briar and the others.

"Uh-oh. Jack is really mad," Sereia says, worried.

"One of the things that would make Jack angry is if someone offended his principles," Briar says.

"That's the last thing we need right now," Jasper says, and sighs in reply.

Seeing the others, Grim says relief, "Briar? Sereia? Tanzanite Jasper? Trinket? Jack? Are you here to save us?!"

"Don't get me wrong. I'm disgusted with every last one of you," Jack says, with a frown. "Why would I side with the slimeball offering shady backroom deals OR the guys who chose to let others do their work for them?"

"What are you here for, then?" Ace questions.

"Well, we are here to figure out what's going on, and Azul provides us with the answer. We heard everything," Briar says.

"I can't believe Azul managed to swindle this many students just so you guys can get good grades," Jasper says, crossing his arms with a stern face.

Just then, Grim says, "Actually, I think Jack's right. He's given me the wake-up call I needed. If you wanna win, you gotta snatch that victory yourself! In other words..." Soon, Grim grows confident, "If I can snatch my contract from Azul by force and tear it up, it's null and void!"

One of the Pomefiore Students actually agrees, "Hey, now that you mention it..."

Then a Scarabia Student says, "Who needs specialties when we've got numbers?! GET HIM!"

"These guys are hopeless," Jasper says, annoyed.

"You forgot to mention crazy," Briar says, bluntly.

"This is not going to end well," Sereia says, worried.

And Sereia is right, Azul then says, "Dear me. I really didn't want to resort to violence, but alas." And address to his two friends, "Jade. Floyd. Play with them for a bit."

"Understood, sir," Jade says.

"Oh man, I get to squeeze 'em all? Ha ha, niiice," Floyd says.

Hearing this, Briar and the others grow even more concerned.

"You're right, this is not going to end well. It's going to end very badly," Tanzanite says.

Without question, many of the students charge or use the magic they still have to attack the three. However, Jade and Floyd fight back and are able to use their own magic, and abilities to takedown a lot of the students with ease. This comes as a shock for Briar, Jack, and the others. Soon, many of the students have fallen to the ground when they try to retaliate. What's more, those who try to take the contract or destroy them, the contracts deflect any physical or magical attack.

Floyd crosses his arms, looking dissatisfied, "Geez, what a bunch of wimps. They're barely worth squeezing."

"It's like a whole school of feeble small fries," Azul replies.

Down on the ground, Ace struggles to sit up as he asks, "How many kindsa magic can this Azul guy bust out? I call shenanigans!"

"Did Azul's golden contract deflect all of your attacks?" Jack asks.

Deuce grunts as well, "Argh. This is just showing me how hard I lean on my specialty normally..."

"Without his fire magic, Grim's nothing more than your garden-variety weasel," Ace says.

"Myah... I ain't a weasel..." Grim says, and falls to the floor.

"Grim!" Briar cries out and kneels down to him.

Azul holds out one of the golden contracts and says, "You have all signed these golden contracts. An official contract is completely unbreakable, regardless of how many bodies you throw at it. No magic can harm this document in any way. Heh heh heh..."

Then says to those with anemone heads, "As long as the sea anemones stay on your heads, you will have no choice but to follow my orders. Why don't you start by cleaning up the lounge? You can handle ingredient prep work afterward. Go on, now. On your feet and get to work!"

"Is this for real...?" Ace asks, defeated.

Azul turns to the twins, "Jade. Floyd. You're in charge of instructing the new staff."

"Yes, sir," Jade says.

"Yessir!" Floyd says.

Then Azul turns to the group without an anemone on their heads, "You're...Jack Howl from Savanaclaw Dorm. And you're Briar Hawthorne from Ramshackle Dorm along with her associates, I believe? I would appreciate it if you took your leave now. Why don't you come by as customers next time? You're welcome whenever you like." And takes his leave.

"Grrr..." Jack growls in anger.

The others watch with frowns as Azul takes his leave.

Jack then turns to Briar, "C'mon, Briar. We'd better fall back and regroup."

"But what about Grim and the others?" Briar asks.

"You saw how that fight went down. We're not gonna get anywhere unprepared," Jack says.

Briar sighs and says, "Alright. It's probable for the best for now."

"Are we really leaving?" Sereia asks, worried.

"There isn't anything we can do. It will be best we head back to the Ramshackle Dorm and figure out what to do about the situation," Briar says.

Everyone soon agrees, and leaves the Octavinelle to figure out a plan to get Grim and the others out of the mess they got themselves into.