Chapter 11: A Contract Signed

Azul begins to explain his deal, "Here's the deal... I bid you pilfer a certain photograph from the Atlantica Memorial Museum in the Coral Sea before the sun sets on the third day from now."

This catches the group by surprise and shock.

"You want us to steal a piece of art?!" Jack questions, bitterly.

Jade however is a little surprised to hear the request.

However, Azul says, "No, not a piece of art. A photo. One commemorating a visit to the museum from Prince Rielé, taken ten years ago."

"A photo?" Sereia says, confused.

"You want us to take a photo?" Tanzanite says, confused.

"Gonna need more detail than that," Jack says.

Azul explains, "It's a photo panel placed right near the museum entrance. It has no historic value whatsoever. Borrowing it would not cause any particular fuss."

"Then why do you want it at all?" Grim asks.

"Heh. What's the point of a challenge if it's not challenging?" Azul answers, "If I were to concoct a trifling errand, I would simply be giving away my end of it, wouldn't I? I'm not running a charity here."

"What exactly is the Atlantica Memorial Museum? I've never heard of it before," Briar says.

Then Jade explains, "The Atlantica Memorial Museum is a renowned tourist attraction that houses a good twenty different cultural artifacts. That includes the Silver Hair Comb, a Coral Sea national treasure, and the Mermaid Princess's Prized Cork Openers, among others. We're not asking you to find a speck of gold dust on the seabed here."

"Oh, hey, didn't we go there on an elementary school field trip once?" Floyd happily says.

Jack then says, "Hold on. The nation of the Coral Sea is at the bottom of the ocean, right? It's not exactly hospitable to land mammals like us with no fins or gills. I think you're askin' too much here."

"What he said?! I can't breathe underwater, y'know!" Grim panics.

"And none of us are able to breathe underwater for very long either," Tanzanite says.

Sereia however is looking a bit embarrassed, and skeptic

"That sounds like a 'you' problem...is what I would normally say, but fear not. I will provide you with our very own magic potions. They'll enable you to breathe underwater," Azul says.

Azul then reaches into the drawer of his desk, and pulls out a kind of vial that is in the shape of a shell with a cork on it. There seems to be a green potion inside.

Azul then gives it to Briar as he explains, "Once, when a poor little mermaid princess fell in love with a human, the Sea Witch was kind enough to grant her legs to walk upon the earth. And really, what are any of us without a sense of charity? Heh heh heh."

He then asks, "So, what do you say? Do we have a deal? Will you agree to a contract with me? I'm afraid I don't have all day, so if you could make your decision now, I'd appreciate it. Chop, chop!"

Without hesitation, Briar says, "It's a deal!"

"Excellent! Go ahead and sign the scroll, then..." Azul says, and presents the contract to Briar.

Briar sighs and decides the contract.

Before she does, Briar asks, "Um do you mind if I add something else to the agreement."

"Hmm, of course. Sign the contact and I'll hear you out," Azul says.

Briar then takes the pen and signs the contract.