Chapter 20: Two Days Remain

Leona crosses his arms and says, "But, hm... If I were in your shoes... I'd start by brainstorming a way to shred the contract document itself."

"But it's invulnerable!" Grim says.

"And when someone tries to take it or destroy it, the magic bounces off," Sereia says.

Leona sighs and says, "You guys are seriously peabrained."

"You're like a scammer's dream come true," Ruggie says.

"Mrah?!" Grim replies, confused.

"What does that mean?" Jasper asks, feeling offended."

Then Ruggie says, "Let's start with the basics. Why would you take Azul at his word when he said his contract was 'completely unbreakable'?"

"What? I mean, none of our attacks did a thing to it..." Jack asks, confused.

Ruggie continues, "Have you considered the possibility that was an on-the-spot demonstration put on as a bluff?"

Jack and the others are caught off guard.

Briar then asks, "Are you guys saying that it's possible that the stuff Azul said about his contracts could have been a lie?"

Ruggie nods his head in reply.

Then Leona says, "All magic's got a loophole. Remember that pampered little redhead Riddle's signature spell and how it sealed magic?"

Everyone nods their heads in reply.

Leona continues, "It seemed unbeatable at first, but it still had a weakness. Even the best magicians can't sling spells willy-nilly. So the idea that Azul's golden contract from It's a Deal is indefinitely unbreakable... is preposterous. Flat-out."

"So there's a way to beat it after all. Challenging the Leech brothers underwater is a losin' proposition, no matter how you slice it. We'd be better off trying to find a chip in the contract scroll's proverbial armor on land instead. I see what you're gettin' at," Jack says.

And now doesn't sound so sure, "I dunno, though. That sounds an awful lot like playing dirty."

"Come on, Jack..." Ruggie says, "Your principles are great and all, but you guys already took a fair shot against Azul and his boys on land. Remind me again how that went?"

Jack replies, irritated, "Rgh..."

Then Leona explains, "Let's be clear here: these guys are scoundrels that swindle doe-eyed herbivores and take them for everything they've got. Why should you play fair when they don't? So what if it's underhanded? So what if it's taking the fight off the playing field? As long as the contract is annulled, you win. End of story."

"Oooh, that's our Leona! The duke of dirty plays; the tyrant of technical fouls!" Ruggie says.

Briar sighs and asks, "You haven't learned anything from last time, have you?"

"Hey, it's like I said before. I do whatever it takes to win," Leona says.

"Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, huh?" Jack says, and thinks for a bit.

Then says, "Fine. Let's spend the next two days staking Azul out and looking for our chance to shred that contract scroll!"

"It seems that is our best option. So we'll have to work together on this one," Briar says.

"Well, good luck with that, froshes," Leona says.

"Whaaa?! After all that talk, you're not gonna help us?" Grim asks.

"Why should I?" Leona questions, and says, "I practically wrote the answer for you in crayon already. You guys can figure the rest out yourselves. Later.

"On that note, I'm out too. Good luck, guys!" Ruggie says.

"Th-that's just heartless!" Grim cries out.

Sereia says, "That's really mean."

Briar sighs and says, "Come on guys, let's get to sleep. We have some work to do tomorrow."

Everyone agrees and decides to head to bed for the night.

Sometime later in the walkway of the Savanaclaw dorm, Leona and Ruggie are walking down the halls by themselves.

Ruggie says to Leona, "Wow, Leona. It's not every day I see you offering such useful advice."

"Oh yeah?" Leona questions.

"For all your talk, you've got a soft spot for those underclassmen, don't you?" Ruggie replies.

"Hah. Don't make me laugh," Leona says in remark, "If I play my cards right, I can use those chumps to learn that cephalo-punk's weakness without lifting so much as my pinky finger.

Not that I'm holdin' my breath or anything.

"Ahhh, I getcha. That's real slick, Leona," Ruggie complements.

Meanwhile, in the Octavinelle Dorm Lounge, Floyd and Jade report to Azul about what has happened today.

What? Briar met with Leona?" Azul asks.

"Yes, sir. The contractor appears to have taken up temporary residence at Savanaclaw," Jade answers

"Ah, I see. That's...somewhat unexpected," Azul says, and tries to think.

Then Floyd asks, "What's our play here? Do I give him the squeeze?

"No. We can let the Leona matter go," Azul answers.

Then Jade questions, Wouldn't it be better to nip this in the bud swiftly? He would be a troublesome man to have as an enemy."

"He's a lazy lion at heart. He doesn't believe in sticking his neck out for others or seeking trouble," Azul says. "I concur with your view that he would be troublesome to have as an enemy, but rivalry is a two-way street. He wouldn't dream of making an enemy out of me by choice."

"So you would prefer to let sleeping lions lie for the time being. All right. Understood," Jade replies.

Floyd is disappointed, "Aw, maaan... I really wanted to wipe that smug grin off his face, too."

"Just keep up your surveillance for now, thanks," Azul says.

The twins answer, "Yes, sir. / Will do!"