Chapter 35: Erasing the Past

Back to reality in the Octavinelle Dorm, Azul and Briar, who have been unconscious, begin to wake up.

"Ngh..." Azul replies.

Briar groans, "Ugh..."

Soon, they both wake up and sit up on the floor.

Floyd says, "Oh, hey, you're awake."

"Azul, how many fingers am I holding up? Jade asks as he holds the certain numbers of fingers.

A little dazed, Azul answers, "Er... Eight?"

"Still in shock, it seems. But your blot-induced rampage has subsided at last," Jade says.

Then Leona says, "That little tantrum you threw really put us through the wringer, y'know."

"Uh, Leona, I'm not sure you get to say that," Ruggie replies.

Azul then asks, "What did I...do?"

"You overused your magic and overblotted. You don't remember it?" Jade answers.

Then Floyd says, "You were sucking everybody's magic dry left and right, bawlin', 'Give me your poweeerrr!' It was the cringiest thing I've ever seen. I'm still not over it."

Azul is shocked, "Oh, no... Me, going berserk? I don't believe this..."

"I'm afraid it's true," Briar says.

Azul turns to see Briar sitting next to her, and from the looks of her eyes, he has no doubts to not believe her.

Then Ruggie says, "Hey, I can't exactly blame a guy for gettin' bent outta shape when something you've been building up for years gets ruined. I mean, if someone broke the coin bank I've been saving my money in, I'd hold a grudge for life."

"But all those shady business dealings have gotta stop. You oughta learn from this," Grim says.

Jack then says, "How about you guys learn not to coast through exams using someone else's notes?!"

"Yeah. How about you learn about something before you tell someone else," Jasper says.

"But you know, no one else could have made those notes. And from what I heard, you did an excellent job on making those notes," Briar says.

"I have to admit, I'm still amazed Grim got an 85, actually. And it's kind of thanks to you," Tanzanite says.

"...What?" Azul replies with a confused look.

Then Ace says, "Y'know, it's true. One all-nighter reading that study guide you wrote was enough to bag me over a 90 on my exams."

"Yeah. It was seriously on point," Deuce says.

Then Jack says, "I heard from the headmage that you wrote that guide yourself, analyzing a whole century's worth of test question trends. I'm still not okay with your shady practices, but your work took serious guts. That much I'll admit."

"Hmph," Azul replies.

Then says, "Your clumsy attempts at consolation aren't helping me in the least."

"Awww, what's the matter? Are you gettin' teary-eyed, Azul?" Floyd asks with a smile.

Then Jade says, "Dear me. You've gone back to that ink-spewing crybaby again."

That makes Azul upset and says, "Hey! You two signed an NDA covering that exact topic!"

"Right you are. My mistake," Jade says.

"Oh yeah, that reminds me..." Jack says.

Sereia then passes the picture to Jack.

Then Jack presents the picture to Azul, "Here's that photo of Prince Rielle you asked for. We got a hold of it. The sun hasn't set yet. I think that seals our victory.

"What's this?" Leona asks.

He looks at the picture and says, "It's just some picture of a buncha mermen fingerlings huddled in front of a camera."

"Is it some kinda group photo of an elementary school class? What'd you want it for, anyway?" Ruggie says.

Everyone looks at the photo to see many different merchildren along with their teacher.

Floyd smiles and says, "Aha ha, that takes me back! This is a picture from our school field trip. Me 'n Jade are right here."

Floyd points to the spot with the two moray merboys.

"Really? That's you two?" Tanzanite asks.

"You both look so cute," Sereia says.

"Thank you," Jade says.

"Aaand..." Floyd says, and points to a part of the picture of the corner, "See the kid sulking way off in the corner? That's baby Azul!"

"What?!" Everyone exclaims in shock.

Azul panics, "AAAH! No! Don't look! Please don't look!

Then Jade says, "Well well, Azul. You sure are spirited all of a sudden. Shouldn't you get a little more sleep? Considering how far things have already gone, it would be easier for you to let this one go."

"Let's see here," Ace says.

Everyone gathers to see the photo, and notices a small octopus child in the corner. The child appears to be male and has Azul's hair and eye color.

"What's in the corner...?" Leona asks.

"Are you talkin' about the octopus who's more rounded than any of the mer-kids, even holding the pic at an angle?" Ruggie asks.

"Whoa, Azul! I never knew you used to look like that!" Grim says.

Jasper chuckles, "You look kind of chubby."

"I have to admit, you sure look very different in the photo.

"Aw. You look so cute and round, Azul," Seeia says.

Trinket tinks in reply with a smile.

"So that's what this was about..." Briar says, and giggles, "I don't really see the problem. You look so cute and adorable. I wish I could pinch those cute little cheeks."

Azul screams in agony and embarrassment, "AAAaaaAAAaaaAAAaaah!"

Deuce then turns to Azul, "I... I get it. I totally get what you're feeling. Everybody's got a past they wish they could erase! I saw nothing! Neither did the rest of you, okay?! Never speak of this again!"

"Never pegged you as this, uh...passionate," Jack says.

"Aaargh..." Azul says in frustration, "I was going to expand the Mostro Lounge with a branch cafe and simultaneously erase the shame of my boyhood... It was supposed to be the perfect plan! Two birds with one stone!"

"Hey, you know what they say: a rabbit in hand is worth two in the bush," Ruggie says.

Then Azul explains, "I got my schoolmates' yearbooks and the negatives from the photographer... I succeeded in laying claim to every single old photo of me through a whole web of deals... But there just wasn't any legal way to dispose of that one last photo."

"I guess that explains why you wanted us to get the photo. You're just embarrassed if anyone recognizes you when you were little," Briar suspects.

"That's part of it," Azul answers.

Then Grim says, "That doesn't mean it's cool to make other people do your dirty work for you!"

"I don't see the big deal, really. I like the old Azul. He'd make a better meal than the one we've got now," Floyd says with a grin.

Azul angrily scolds him, "That's not the point at all!"

"But you don't have to be that hung up on hiding it. I mean, with all the work you did, I doubt many will remember the old you. Maybe..."

However, Azul sniffles and says, "This is the worst. I could crawl into an octopus pot right now."