Chapter 36: Scarfing Down Fast

Jack says to Azul, "Anyway. We held up our end of the deal and brought the photo to you within the deadline you gave us. We've completely fulfilled your terms."

"Yeah. Real shame about the contracts gettin' sanded before we did," Grim says.

Then Jack says, "But stealing just doesn't sit right with me. Azul, you're a law-abiding sorta guy, right? Take some responsibility and return the picture back to where it belongs."

"I'm afraid Jack is right. If anyone finds out about it, we could get in trouble," Tanzanite says.

"But don't worry, we can return the picture together," Briar says.

"Fine... But at least let me switch it out for a version where I've been edited out of the picture," Azul says.

"Hah. You just don't know when to let something go," Leona says in remark.

"He's right, you know. Records are a valuable treasure," Jade says.

Floyd happily says, "Ooh, field trip! When do we go? We're goin' as a group, right? I haven't been to the Atlantica Memorial Museum since our elementary school field trip. This is gonna rule!"

"I think it would be best if we wait until Azul gets some rest, and for the rest of us," Briar says.

"Yeah. That fight really wears me out," Jasper says.

Suddenly, Grim begins sniffing around.

Ace notices Grim sniffing around and asks, "Hm? Yo, Grim. What are you sniffing at the ground for?"

My gourmet hunting instincts are tellin' me... that there's a pitch-black treat as delectable as a truffle around here!" Grim says.

"Pitch-black treat?" Sereia says, confused.

Soon, Briar realizes it and says, "Oh no, not again."

"What are you, a truffle hog?!" Ace asks.

And soon enough, Grim has found another black stone and happily says, "Myah! There it is—a black stone! There's no foolin' gourmet hunter Grim's nose!"

"A...black stone?" Keona questions.

"Time to chow down! HOMPH!" And with that, Grim plops the gem into his mouth.

Grim eats the stone and is just as satisfied, "Mmm... It's rich, with a briny punch like salted squid guts... This would drive any discerning gourmand wild! Seriously top-tier stuff!"

Tanzanite and Jasper stick their tongues out in disgust, "Blech!"

"Really? You're eating off the ground AGAIN?" Deuce asks, disturbed.

"Feels like a waste of breath to even tell him to stop at this point. There's just no accounting for a monster's palate," Ace says, dumbfounded.

"Oh dear," Sereia says.

Leona remains silent as he watches Grim enjoy his little snack.

He turns to Briar and asks, "Hey. Does that weasel always pick up black stones off the ground and eat them?"

"Not constantly, but um..." Briar tries to answer.

But sighs and says, "Who am I kidding, Grim can be such a glutton sometimes."

Jack turns to Leona and asks, "Something wrong, Leona?"

"Nah. Don't mind me," Leona answers.