Chapter 23: A Minor Oversight

With no other option, Briar and the others are forced to face Azul and the twins by battling with their magic and strength. However, it's proven that Azul, Jade, and Floyd are tough opponents, even Jack has struggles battling them.

Jack breaths and growls in frustration, "Argh... I never knew housewardens were this powerful!"

"Let that be a lesson to you. NEVER try to steal my contracts again," Azul says in a stern tone.

"Shouldn't you guys be hustling over to the Atlantica Memorial Museum?" Floyd questions with a big grin on his face.

Then Jade says, "Your deadline is sunset tomorrow. The clock is ticking, you know."

"Then again, after we're done workin' you over, you'll be spending the rest of that time passed out in the nurse's office!" Floyd says.

Deuce panics, "They're about to attack again!"

"Crud! Summoning magic ain't my strongest suit, but..." Ace says frustrated.

Then cast the spell, "I summon thee, cauldron!"

"Hey! Don't crib my magic!" Deuce shouts.

"Didn't we go over this yesterday? You'll never touch me with that!" Floyd says and casts his spell, "Bind the Heart!"

Using his magic, the cauldron swerves away from Floyd, towards the vault where the girls are standing.

Briar cries out, "Get down!"

Briar, Sereia, and Trinket quickly fall to the floor as the cauldron slams right into the face, causing a dent on it.

Azul cries out, "Floyd! Watch where you're directing that spell! You've aimed right for the vault, you fool!"

"Whoopsie-daisy. Sorry about that," Floyd says.

Briar looks at Floyd in disbelief, "WHAT?!"

Azul checks the safe to see the damage that's been done, "No... The door's damaged! The dial and hinges aren't shot, are they?!"

As Azul checks the safe, Briar, Sereia, and Trinket slowly sneak away from Azul and round up the others to sneak away as well.

Azul then sighs in relief, "Phew. Okay, good."

Then glares at Floyd, "How many times have I told you not to use your signature spell so carelessly?! What will it take to get it through your head?!"

"I said I was sorry, okay? You don't gotta get all bent outta shape over one little ding," Floyd says, with a frown.

"You'd have me save my protestations for when it's completely demolished, then?!" Azul yells

Okay, you two, settle down. Otherwise... they'll get away.

"Huh?" Azul and Floyd reply, confused.

Suddenly, Grim says, "Now's our chance! So long, suckers!"

And with that, everyone in the roster quickly leaves the VIP lounge, leaving Azul, Floyd, and Jade looking rather dumbfounded.

"Hey, wait!" Azul calls out, but everyone has already left.

Then turns to the twins, "Jade! Floyd! After them!"

However, Floyd says, "Gettin' yelled at kinda harshed my vibe."

"Is that really relevant right now? How can you let moods dictate your behavior so much?!" Azul scolds Floyd.

"What about you, Azul? What're you gettin' all snappy for? So what if the vault gets busted? The contract scrolls are unbreakable, right?" Floyd questions.

Azul angrily says, "Do you expect me to walk around carrying a whole bundle of contracts everywhere I go?!"

He sighs and says, "Oh dear. That was careless of me. I let Floyd derail me entirely again. Gracious. Jade, continue keeping an eye on them...and look after Floyd, while you're at it."

"Understood, sir," Jade says.

Floyd then says, "Maaan, this stinks. I think I'ma cut class this afternoon and catch a nap somewhere."

Jade sighs and says, "Here we go again..."

In the Hall of Mirrors, Briar and the others are finally able to get out of the Octavinelle Dorm mirror and into the Hall.

Deuce sighs, "Phew. I was scared stiff there,"

"We wouldn't be in this mess if you weren't such a huge target, Jack," Ace says to Jack.

Jack feels insulted, "Wh—hey! I just work out more than you guys! What's wrong with that?! Besides, wolves are naturally large creatures.

"Well, we can't tear the contracts up. We can't even touch them as things stand," Deuce says.

Then Jack suggests, "I think we'd better call it a day."

"We wasted a whole day, and for what? Nothin'," Grim says.

Then Ace questions, "Is there really a way to shred those dumb things?"

Briar begins to think a bit and mutters, "I'm not entirely sure if it's for nothing. Hmm..."

Tanzanite asks, "Is there something wrong, Briar?"

"Not wrong, but something's nagging me right now," Briar says.

"What is it?" Jasper asks.

"I'm not entirely sure," Briar says.

Then turns to the others, "You all can head back to your dorms, I think I'm going to take a walk for a while."

"Okay, but remember not to be out too late," Jack says.

"Sure," Briar replies.

Briar then leaves from the rest of the group as they return to their respective dorms. However, Briar suddenly hears dripping sounds, and turns around to face the Octavinelle Dorm's mirror.

Briar softly says in thought, "It's that dripping sound again. Is it possible that..."

She shakes it off and says, "I only hope I'm wrong..."

Unknown to Briar, blotting ink drops to the floor at an unknown location and merges to the floor.