Chapter 19: Wracking the Brain

That night... Briar, Jack, and the others return to the Savanaclaw Dorm. They are in the dorm's lounge as they discuss what has happened today at the Coral sea.

"What? You guys actually went to the Coral Sea?" Ruggie asks.

"Um yeah. We did, but that didn't work out," Tanzanite says.

"Hah! How stupid can you get?" Leona questions.

Grim gets offended, "Mrah?! But you're the guy who said to 'get the ball rolling' right now!

Leona crosses his arms with a huff, "Hmph. I never said anything about diving headlong into the time's limited. What I was suggestin' was that you use your head and find a worthwhile use of your time. Challenging merfolk head-on in the water is a losing proposition no matter how you slice it. It's like walking into a carnivore's mouth.

Jack soon asks, "Wait. Did you guys know the twins were actually mermen this whole time?"

"Maybe," Leona answers.

Then Ruggie says, "I saw Floyd in his natural form at a joint swimming class last summer, and boy, let me tell you... If that guy came after me in the water, I'd be done for. End of story."

"It woulda been nice to know that beforehand!" Jack says, bitterly.

Jasper feels the same, "Yeah. You never mention that to us.

Then Leona says, "Last I checked, you were the guys who ran off half-cocked without bothering to gather any intel. I would've been happy to share it all in detail if you'd asked.

"Yeah!" Ruggie says, "You gotta cover your bases before you start pickin' fights, y'know? Shyeheehee! Back at the Savanna, you gotta tread carefully if you don't wanna end up as someone's dinner."

Grim grows in anger, "Grrr... You're the same couple of scheming jerks as always!

"Does this mean Azul was planning on interfering from the start when he made the offer?" Leona asks.

"Uh, duh? Obviously?" Leona answers.

Briar sighs and says, "For some reason, I wouldn't put it past him."

Trinket nods her head in reply.

Then Ruggie says, "The Leech brothers are Azul's top men. They're known for collecting all collateral and compensation from his contractors. And rumor has it they run interference to make sure the contract terms can't be met.

"What a bunch of low-down, dirty cheaters!" Grim says annoyed.

Then grows frustrated, Urgh...If Briar loses, am I gonna be stuck workin' day and night for Azul forever?"

Trinket then gently pulls his ear, then flies to him as she tinks in her own way.

Sereia then says, "I think Trinket is trying to get you to remember what else is at stake."

"You're right," Grim says.

This peaks Leona's curiosity, "'What else is at stake'? Are you saying there's more to the contract then you let on?" and turns to Briar.

"Well um, what Sereia means is that. Uh, what happened..." Briar says, trying to come up with an excuse.

She sighs and says, "Yes. I really took a gamble with dealing with Azul. I told him that regardless of whether I get the photo or not, he will still free the students who took his deal, but I have to take their place. I even have to give him my medallion. So if I don't get that photo, Azul will not only keep my medallion, but I'll have to do everything he says."

This comes as a shock for Leona and Ruggie.

"Are... are you serious? You made yourself and your medallion part of the bargain?! You must be crazy," Ruggie asks, shocked.

Leona remains calm and asks, "And why were you keeping this from us?"

"Uh, I just didn't want you to worry about it. Besides, I plan to get the photo and fix this mess and get myself out of the hole I'm in," Briar says.

Leona remains silent and processes what he has heard. Briar was willing to sacrifice herself and her pendant to save over 200 people, including her friends. To Leona, he either thinks that Briar is brave or crazy, not that he tells her that. Leona continues with the silence, not saying a word.

"Leona?" Ruggie questions.

Then Leona says, "Azul's signature spell is a golden contract scroll called It's a Deal."

"It's a Deal?" Briar questions, arching an eyebrow.

Leona continues, "It enables the caster to take one power from a target if that target signs the scroll. In addition, in the event of a contract breach, the breacher is compelled to obey Azul's every command to a T."

"They say spells with tricky activation requirements are especially potent, but man... Isn't that messed up?" Ruggie adds.

Leona continues, "When the power gets taken, it's sealed inside the contract and made available for Azul to use as it suits him."

Then Jack realizes something, "Wait, so all those times Azul busted out different sorts high-difficulty spells like it was nothing..."

"Were really all the magical powers from the students who were his contractors," Briar says.

"You got that right. I'd bet you anything that those were powers he swiped from contractors as collateral," Ruggie says.

That makes Jack angry, "That's nuts! That means he's cheating at everything!"

"Technically, no. As far as signature spells go, his is crazy high-level. Guy's gotta have some chops to pull something like that off," Ruggie says.

Then Leona says, "I've never put my power up for collateral, so I've got no idea how it works, myself."

"Wait, then what DID you put up for collateral?" Jack asks.

Leona lets out a low growl, "Grrr... What's it matter? It's all in the past anyway."

Then says, "ANYWAY. Contracts with him'll last as long as that special scroll is around. Which is why Azul makes very carefully worded offers."

"And then gets suckers to sign on with terms they can't possibly meet," Ruggie says.

Briar blushes and says, "I guess I was suckered into this too."

"The only way to win against Azul is to not make a contract at all. Heh," Leona adds.

Grim gets depressed, "Mrooow... What are we supposed to do?!

"This looks really bad," Sereia says, worried.

"I know. We can't afford to lose, but this looks bad," Briar says.

Suddenly, Leona says, "How about you try using your head, dimwit? Come on. I know you're not that dense. How do you win against someone stronger than you? You use your noggin. But, hm... If I were in your shoes..."