The Heirs of the Dragon

~~~

As the first century of the Targaryen dynasty came to a close, the health of the Old King, Jaehaerys, was failing. In those days, House Targaryen stood at the height of its strength with 10 adult dragons under its yoke. No power in the world could stand against it. King Jaehaerys reigned over nearly 60 years of peace and prosperity. But tragedy had claimed both his sons, leaving his succession in doubt. So, in the year 101, the Old King called a Great Council to choose an heir. Over a thousand lords made the journey to Harrenhal. Fourteen succession claims were heard but only two were truly considered: Princess Rhaenys Targaryen, the King's eldest descendant, and her younger cousin, Prince Viserys Targaryen, the King's eldest male descendant. Rhaenys, a woman, would not inherit the Iron Throne. The lords instead chose Viserys...

my father.

Jaehaerys called the Great Council to prevent a war being fought over his succession. For he knew the cold truth. The only thing that could tear down the House of the Dragon...

was itself.

~~~

I raced through the clouds around King's Landing, wind whipping against my face madly. Syrax carried her head proudly, as she always did, even as we landed at the stables. She let out a roar as the stable dragonkeepers approached.

One dragonkeeper spoke, "Dohaeras, Syrax."

The other now spoke, "Umbas. Rybas!"

I jumped down, Syrax purring as I ran my hands along her neck and head,

"Kirimvose, issa jorrāelagon."
("Thank you, my dearest.")

Ser Harrold Westerling was waiting for me on horseback, "Welcome back, Princess. I trust your ride was pleasant."

"Try not to look too relieved, ser." I walked to my carriage where Alicent was waiting for me.

W: "I am relieved. Every time that golden beast brings you back unspoiled, it saves my head from a spike."

"You should really thank her some time then, ser." I called out to him over my shoulder as I neared the carriage Alicent was waiting for me at.

A: "Syrax is growing quickly. She'll soon be as large as Caraxes."

"That's almost large enough to saddle two." I smirked at her.

A: "I believe I'm quite content as a spectator, thank you." she turned back into the carriage, me climbing in after her.

We were taken to the castle where we visited my mother as she lay nearing labor.

M: "Ah, Kymyra. You know I don't like you to go flying while I'm in this condition."

"You don't like me to go flying while you're in any condition."

She resituated herself on her couch, looking behind me where Alicent stood.

A: "Your Grace."

M: "Good morrow, Alicent."

I took a seat beside her, "Did you sleep?"

M: "I slept."

"How long?"

M: "I don't need mothering, Kymyra."

"Well, here you are, surrounded by attendants, all focused on the babe. Someone has to attend to you."

M: "You will lie in this bed soon enough, Kymbaerya. This discomfort is how we serve the realm."

"I'd rather serve as a knight and ride to battle and glory."

She laughed, fanning herself, "We have royal wombs, you and I. The childbed is our battlefield."