The Lord of the Tides

I arrived back in Harwin and I's chambers after visiting with my father, our baby sleeping peacefully in her cradle. And Harwin in shambles.

I rushed to his side, "What is it!? Are you alright? Is it the boys?"

His voice shook, "My father... He's..." a loud sob stopped his words as he fell into me.

"I'm here, my husband." I wrapped my arms around him tightly, "How?"

"A fire. Harrenhall, my father, fallen." he sniffled and straightened up, "Urgent word arrived moments ago."

I found words to be lost on me as one of the strongest men I knew crumbled in front of my very eyes.

---

We returned from the funeral, Otto Hightower already re-sworn in as the King's Hand.

I fell back into the nearest chair, "This means war. He will call for Aegon to usurp me the moment my father passes, and he will not do so quietly." 

He sat across from me, "We have two choices, my love. We return to the Dragonstone, Harrenhall, even. Or... we stay and fight." he took my hands into his, "If you ask me, we have too much to lose."

I looked to the cradle, "No. We have too much to fight for."

He nodded, "Then we fight for it."

---

Another six years passed and my father was still the King, much to everyone's surprise. I feared the day as it continued to loom over us like a starving vulture over a dying rodent. Alicent had completely taken over as 'King', sitting in his chair during Small Council. Of course, I wouldn't mind if her every move wasn't being manipulated -or at least was attempted to be- by her father.

I entered my fathers chambers as I did every day, "Father?" 

F: "Kymyra, my girl. Help me up."

I sat him up from his lying position.

F: "What news have you come to tell me this morning?"

I sat at the foot of the bed, "The Sea Snake has taken a grave wound in battle in the Stepstones."

F: "When? We won that war years ago."

"I wish that was the truth, father. But the Triarchy is resurgent. The fighting is anew."

F: "I see. How is Lord Corlys?"

"He isn't going to make it, Father. I'm sorry."

F: "Ah. Will... will you send my condolences to Rhaenys?"

"I will. There is something else... Corlys has promised Driftmark to Lucaerys as he is promised to the Princess Rhaena. Though, a petition has begun to decide upon the succession of Driftmark and the heir to the Driftwood Throne."

He sighed, "Petitions? Alicent and Otto... they see to all that business now."

"Of course, father, I know that. But there is a problem. Many don't believe Lucerys should take the throne. This is a threat to his future. To my standing as heir."

F: "Has something happened to Lord Corlys?"

I bit my lip, feeling the end growing ever near. "Get some rest, Father." I patted his hand before making my leave. 

In the hall, I ran into Alicent and she fumed,

"Alicent? Is everything alright?"

A: "No." 

"Is there anything I can do to help?"

She sighed, "I wish there was."

"I see, I wish you luck."