Sepsis

Suggested listening: Rei Kondoh - The Tremor Of Impact

The doctor promptly took Hwoarang's temperature, which ended up being sky-high. The man was shivering both from the fever and the pain. He immediately called a nurse.

-We have to administer paracetamol, now. We have to stabilise the temperature. Also, I want a complete MRI, CT scan and X-ray done, stat.

Jin frowned. -Doctor, is everything okay?

-We will now after all the exams. A high temperature like that isn't good after a surgery, we have to be sure everything is in order.

-How much will that take?

-A couple of hours at least. Don't worry, we'll keep you up to date. Some questions.

-Whatever you need.

-Was he clear-minded before you called me?

-He was laughing as usual, but... at some point, he spoke Korean, which he rarely does with me, and I found that strange. After that, he mumbled stuff I couldn't grasp.

-I see. Thank you, Mr. Kazama-Seong. As soon as I have news, I will find you.

After two hours and a half, Jin still had no information on Hwoarang's wellbeing. He was getting nervous, and his feeling that something was wrong was growing by the minute. After almost three hours, the doctor came to him. His face showed he was bringer of bad news.

-Mr. Kazama-Seong, I have updates, but they're not good ones, sadly.

-What's going on?

-Your husband's operated lung is in sepsis. He probably had a growing infection in the lung before we got him into surgery, but it was too small to be detected. Now it's spreading and attacking all it finds in its way. We have to operate as soon as possible, if we wait for antibiotics to work, it may attack the other lung as well. He's undergoing into surgery in an hour, as soon as his temperature is forced down.

-How could you miss an infection? And what about his foot? He's in pain, and every day which passes is a possibility less for him to walk properly and fight,

-I don't think you understand the gravity of the situation here. Your husband may die, if untreated. There's a high mortality rate for lung sepsis. One-third of the people who contract it die. Not to mention the life-changing effects of the post-operation he may experience, such as PTSD, chronic pain and fatigue, organ dysfunction... we're not talking about a cough.

-I know. But neither is losing a foot, especially if your work is fighting.

-We can do the other surgery on day after this one, tomorrow, that's the best I can do. But for safety reasons we can't speed up more than that.

-That will have to do. Now, please, save my husband's life.

The doctor walked away, while Eun-Jung asked Jin what was happening. The answer crushed her, and she was scared as hell.

-We won't lose papa, right?

-No, hime, these doctors and surgeons are the best in the country. We're in good hands.

And once again, they were left waiting, for an eternity it seemed, for Hwoarang to come out of the operating theatre. Jin was holding Eun-Jung, hugging her tight while she cried out of stress. 

-Mr. Kazama-Seong?

-Yes?

-Your husband's surgery was a success. We were able to remove most part of the infection, the rest we will treat with antibiotics. But we can say he's out of the woods.

-Thank you. When can we see him?

-He's still under anesthesia, I'd say half an hour at least.

-We'll wait, thank you again.

Jin waited almost an hour, then went to Hwoarang's room.

-Love? Are you awake?

-Unfortunately, yes.

-I'd say we're lucky you are.

-That's because you're not feeling my pain, darling.

-I can imagine... but at least the fever is gone.

-Yeah. But I think they'll give me a coupon at the next surgery for a free pizza. I'm one of their best customers after all.

-Tomorrow they will operate your feet.

-Then I'll have my pizza sooner than expected. Awesome.- he made a pause. -How is Eun-Jung? All of this must have destabilised her.

-I'm here, papa. I was afraid for you... I was afraid I'd never see you again.- she sniffled.

-Oh, gongju. You know it takes more than this to put your papa down. Now, let me kiss you.

She went nearer and he kissed her on the temple, then on her cheeks.

-I will never leave you. Promise.

//

The day after, Hwoarang was once again brought to an operating theatre, this time for his foot. He was terrified of not being able to fight again after what Heihachi did to him; he put all his hope in science and in the good hands o the surgeons of the hospital.

When the surgery was done, he had his foot in a cast and he couldn't stop looking at it. Jin stood near Hwoarang in silence, waiting for him to talk - because he knew he wanted to.

-What if I will never be able to fight again?

-One step at a time, love. You will need much rehabilitation.

-One step at a time? Is that a bad pun?

-No, it's not. But even though it's not your strong suit, you will have to have patience.

-When they assigned patience, I was in line for this great mane. And something else.

-I suppose so. But you will have to find some, somewhere, somehow.

-Maybe on that pizza they owe me. I'll ask patience for seasoning.

-Good idea. Now rest, you need it. Foot or not, you're a fighter, my love.

Jin kissed him softly and smiled, caressing Hwoarang's hair.

-I can't wait to sleep in a bed with you, instead than in a cold hospital bed. I miss you.

-I know, I miss you too. It's strange, sleeping alone. 

-If we're lucky, we won't have to do this much longer. This is what worries me the most, though. If we're lucky. We haven't been very lucky as of late.

-You'll see, everything will be alright from now on. Heihachi gone, you recovering, at home, with us. It will all be perfect.

-It will be perfect when I am able to fight again, Jin. I am worried, it's all my life, all I've been training for all these years. It's unfair.

-Worry not. I will get you the best physical terapists there are. You will fight again, I promise you.

-I hope you're right. I can't not fight. It would be like not breathing. And I want to breathe.