The Rising Hawks

Suggested listening: ATEEZ - Sector 1

-So? What did they tell you?

Hwoarang hesitated. He knew he was going to break basic house rules. And Jin's trust. But he also knew what would happen if he spoke to Jin about his chat with Chan-yeol.

-They... they told me to stay away from them. That they found a new guy, some Haneul. They're also expanding together with other biker gangs in Tokyo.

-And they needed to go there to tell you why...?

-Because they wanted to make sure I'd get I was out of the gang forever, and to never try to approach them ever again. As if. Anyway, good news only. We have nothing to fear.

-Good. A weight lifted from our chests. You have your A.A. meetings in the next days?

-Yeah, I was thinking about going in a couple of days. Tomorrow, I want to stay home with you two.

-You're a softie, you know that, right?

-And who made me that way, Kazama? I was okay on my own before you. Now I can't live without you and Eun-Jung.

Jin smiled at Hwoarang, his chin up. -Then, I made a great work.

-You make other great things, you know?

The Korean shortened the space between them, taking Jin by the hips with his hands. The Japanese felt a spark of electricity at the touch, as if it were the first time Hwoarang grabbed him like that. He would never stop feeling like that when his hands would lay on his body, he thought. It was like the one-eyed fighter was electric. He gulped before answering.

-And what would they be?

-You want me to talk dirty in the kitchen, with Eun-Jung being one room away?

-Maybe it isn't such a good idea, no. But we can continue this conversation upstairs.

Hwoarang smirked devilishly and kissed him.

-Gladly.

The two retired in their bedroom, and in after some murmuring, the sound of ragged breaths, moaning and the two calling each other's name passionately came out of the room for a long while.

//

-I'm going out for the meeting. I'll stay for the after-meeting as well, I want to talk with Mr. Hayashi.

-Okay, love. Don't speed. Too much.

-Sure, grandma. I'll behave. Later.

Hwoarang felt like a thief, sneaking out on Jin like that on a filthy lie, but he had no choice. He had to meet in Harajuku again, and this time he had to bring an answer with him. One he did not have yet. He had always been so secure of everything he'd done in his life, but this time, his head was blank. He thought and thought but couldn't find a solution, a way out from this shitty situation he found himself in, and he damned Heihachi for breaking his foot and making him unable to fight his way through. And in what he thought was way too little time, he was in Harajuku again, in front of his old gang again. One would think he'd be a little soft, with all the memories tied to those guys. He was not. He was angry, and as much as he hated to admit it, he was scared. Not for himself, but for his family.

-Blood Talon. Just in time. You always made us wait for you.

-Important people don't care about time, do they?

Chan-yeol laughed. -Typical Hwoarang response. It's good to have you back.

-I still haven't answered, Chan-yeol. One front in front of the other. And I have a question.

-I'm listening.

-Why do you want me back after saying I was out forever, at my house? That's a huge 180, if you ask me, one I don't understand.

-I was shocked by your... new ways of living. I was enraged by your rejection. I was impulsive. But then, I thought it through. You still are the guy to lead us, Blood Talon. You funded us, you gave us a code, you were the best leader a gang could hope for. And I know you still have it in you.

-Maybe. Say I accept. How many times and where do we meet?

-As much as possible, or needed. And here seems a good spot for a meeting.

-And if I say I need more days to think it through?

-Don't toy with us, and with your life, Hwoarang. We gave you two days. Those had to be sufficient.

-But if I wanted to talk about it with Jin...

-...then Jin would have a really bad evening afterwards. This is between us, it's not a family decision around the dining table. It's between a man and his old mates, no one else. Now.

Hwoarang sighed. He never moved from his bike, his muscles tense, his veins showing, his brows frowning. He lit up a cigarette, buying himself some time to think while trying to shake some of the tension away. If he said yes, he would be forced to do things he wouldn't like where he was now; he wasn't the same person he was at nineteen, basically living in the streets and owning them in the palm of his hands. And he would have to do everything lying to Jin, to Eun-Jung, or they would pay for it. But if he said no, they would have a hundred? maybe more bikers at their backs, threatening their lives, rendering their lives a living Hell, and fuck, he knew they were able to do that more easily than he'd like to admit. They would attack Jin, they would... he couldn't even think about what they would do to Eun-Jung. Devil form or not, they were too many. They wouldn't stand a chance. The cigarette burnt to the last bit and died out itself. His time was up as well.

-I'm in. At one condition.

-And what would it be?

-You touch Jin or Eun-Jung, or even talk about them once again in my presence, and you're dead. Have I been clear?

Chan-yeol smiled creepily. -Yes, seonbaenim.

-Good. And remember, I don't repeat myself. Ever. I act. Now, as a first action as your newly found boss, I want you to regroup all the Rising Hawks. I want to count you, know your names, your ugly ass faces one by one. Because there are people I don't know here, and I can't ride or die with someone I don't give a shit about. You'll have to earn my respect, and it's no easy task. Lose it, and you're out. Betray me, and you're fucking dead. And remember, a Rising Hawk always keeps his word. Affiliation with other gangs is fine, as long as I approve it, but before someone is added to our ranks it has to pass through me and my judgement. Not everyone can be a Rising Hawk. If anyone has something to say against me, he comes to me, I want no whispering around. And as soon as I'm back on my feet, literally, the way to challenge me for the title of seonbaenim is through a fight. Just so you know, I've never lost one, and I won't hold back for anyone. Everything clear? Any question?

There was a moment of silence, then the gang members started chanting Hwoarang's name. The Korean had to admit it somehow made his blood boil, making a speech and being followed like that. If only he weren't faking the whole thing, praying to be plausible to protect Jin and Eun-Jung.

-It's good to have you back, Blood Talon. The eyepatch is badass, by the way.

-Byeongsin, I truly lost an eye. Keep your comments to yourself if you want to remain my second in command, Chan-yeol.

-Sorry, seonbaenim. Yes, seonbaenim.

"I once craved for this much power, for this sense of belonging. Now I only want to go home. Home. Please, Jin, forgive me".