4

A few months later

Alysanne spent her days with Rhaenyra. She would offer her guidance, ride dragons and study the histories of those who sat on the throne before her.

There were some days when she was able to have them to herself. She spent them with Ser Harwin instead. They had created a relationship with each other, something neither of them expected. He was desperate for her, but never tried to overstep.

Sometimes they would sit in the godswood and he would read poetry to her as she sat with her head on his lap. Other times they would walk to visit Varion out the outskirts of King Landing. He was truly falling for her, but didn't know if she felt the same.

One day, on their walk back from visiting Varion, Alysanne asked him an intriguing question. "Have you put any thought into marriage?"

He stumbled on his words for a moment, "I, well, not really, no." He lied. He of course did. He wanted a wife out of love, not duty. He wanted someone that he could truly cherish.

"Sometimes I fear I will fail at being Rhaeneryas hand and Viserys will marry off for the good of the realm." Alysanne takes her riding gloves off, playing with them in her hand.

"I wouldn't allow that."

Alysanne laughs, "You have no say in the matter Ser Harwin."

"I would if it came to you. I'd even let The King cut out my tongue if it meant I was able to stop you from leaving King's Landing."

Alysanne blushes, "How sweet to offer up your tongue for me."

"Why are you against marriage?" He turns his head to her, the gravel beneath their feet crunching with every step.

"I am not against marriage, it can be a wonderful thing. But common folk get married for love, where I stand there is no such thing. I refuse to be married off like my mother was. Aemma was lucky, they did truly love each other."

The two continue their walk through King's Landing. "Why do you fear you aren't a good hand to Rhaenyra?"

Alysanne sighs, "She's going to be a great queen but she is very rebellious. I fear that she will do something and Viserys will see it as my fault."

"Well Viserys knows his own daughter, and I have known Rhaenerya for a while now. You can bring her down a little bit, but she is certainly untamable."

"I suppose you're right, Knight." She laughs. Ser Harwin sends her a small grin.

Ser Harwin walks her all the way to her chambers. She stops at the door, "Will you join me for supper tonight?"

She had never asked this before, he was a bit taken back. He smiled at her, "I would love to."

Ser Harwin made sure to dress in his best attire. It was a split blue and dark blue tunic with his house banner in the center. He pulled half his hair up the backside of his head. He pulled on his boots and his sword at his hip. He felt so nervous walking through the halls of the Red Keep. He had true feelings for Alysanne and was afraid to mess up.

In her chambers, Alysanne put on a long sleeve black gown, with gold accents going down the center and lining the neck line. She made sure that her hair was pulled back nicely in three braids, draping down behind her. She awaited Ser Harwin's arrival anxiously.

Alysanne knew that she enjoyed spending time with Ser Harwin. He was unknowingly helping her through the grief of her sister and nephew. Their conversations came easy, but she sensed that Ser Harwin was afraid to move forward with their relationship, so she took the first step.