10

The night after

Ser Harwin rushed through the corridors of the castle. His armor bounced and sent an echo with every step he took. Out of breath, he finally reached Alysanne's chambers. The night was just turning into day, and his shift for the City Watch was finally at its end. As he approached, he spotted his younger brother, Bywin, waiting at her door.

"Brother? You shouldn't be here." Bywin whispers to him. "I must speak to Alysanne. It's about the Princess."

His brother nods, looking around the empty corridor to make sure no one was around, and slowly opens the double doors to her room. Ser Harwin runs to the side of the bed where she lay sleeping. He admired her for a moment. She looked so peaceful, and he laughed a bit seeing the drool spot on her pillow.

He gently strokes her hair, "Alysanne, Alysanne wake up it's urgent."

She slowly opens her eyes, realizing Ser Harwin is sitting in her chambers. She sits up quickly, "What're you doing here? If the King knows you're here-"

"The Princess was out in Fleabottom last night. She was with Daemon."

She furrows her brows, tilting her head at him. "I stopped her while she was running through the alleys."

Alysanne rips the covers from over her legs. "What was she doing sneaking around with Daemon?" She asks running over to the wardrobe grabbing a dress she can easily slip into. She decides to go have a word with Rhaenyra before this word spreads to her father, or the entire Keep.

Ser Harwin sighs. "I fear up to no good. I was stationed near a brothel on the Street of Silk, and it seemed as if they were heading that way."

Alysanne stops what she's doing. She couldn't believe it. "Well, that doesn't mean anything." She says in denial. She shakes her head, going back to pulling her gown on. "We both know Daemon is a scoundrel. You can't deny-"

"Ser Harwin, enough!" She yells. She takes a deep breath, closing her eyes. The two sit in silence for what feels like hours. Alysanne swears at herself for raising her voice to Ser Harwin.

He walks up behind her, putting his arms around her. He kisses the side of her head. He pulls up the rest of her gown, tying the back of it up. "Thank you." She whispers.

"I'm sorry." She says, turning around to face him. He shakes his head. "Don't apologize to me. I know how much you care about her, not only as her Hand, but as her aunt."

Bywin enters the chambers, looking between the two. "Otto wants you to join him in Viserys's chambers, Alysanne."

"Thank you Ser Bywin." He turns and leaves the two once again.

"Maybe it's nothing. Maybe it has nothing to do with her." She tries to tell herself.

Ser Harwin gives her another kiss, this time placing it on her forehead. "I'll stay here until you get back. Bywin won't let anyone enter."

"If someone sees you here..."

"Alysanne. I will be waiting here for you. Go."

Alysanne follows Otto into the King's chambers. He's sitting next to the fire in his robe, looking as if he just woke up. He stands, walking up to the two. "Alysanne, Otto. What is it?"

"I apologize for the early hour, Your Grace. I brought you two together, because I have... discomforting news. I thought it was best shared discreetly before the council reconvenes."

"The Sea Snake." Viserys sighs.

Otto stays silent for a moment. "I'm afraid it concerns the Princess."