12

When they landed in Driftmark, they were quickly brought to the castle to be greeted by the family. Alysanne had never been to Driftmark on her adventures years prior, only past it briefly. It was much more desolate than King's Landing. The cold days were coming and Driftmark was not spared of the changing weather.

When they walk through the gates, two teen boys are sparring in the courtyard. They stop immediately at the sight of Viserys, they bow to him. Alysanne looks around confused.

"Where is Lord Corlys? He should be here to receive the King." Lord Lyonel says.

A door opens in front of them and two people walk down. Viserys sighs. "Welcome to High Tide, Your Grace." Lady Laena says, her brother walking closely behind her.

"What is the meaning of this, Lady Laena? Is this how house Velayon greets its King?" Lord Lyonel asks, walking up to them.

"My father has just returned from his long journey and he hastened to the Hall of Nine to await Your Grace's arrival."

Viserys sighs, "Let's just get on with it." He begins walking past Lord Lyonel.

One inside, Alysanne, The King, and Lord Lyonel are welcome into the Hall of Nine. They didn't allow Rhaenyra inside. Alysanne furrowed her eyebrows at the King. They begin walking through the halls toward where Lord Corlys sat. "Why have we left her back there? She is the reason we are here."

"That is exactly why she is left back there." Viserys answers to her. Once they reach Lord Corlys, he stands quickly from his throne made of driftwood. "Your Grace."

He steps down to bend his knee in front of the King. Viserys doesn't allow this long, "Rise, Lord Corlys." He does as he says. "Be welcome. May I offer you a chair?"

Right as he says this, a door opens, revealing the Lady Rhaenys. "Cousin!" She smiles, running to Viserys. She grabs a hold of his hands, but he groans in pain for his rotting fingers. "Are you well?" She asks looking up to him.

"Very."

"I congratulate you, Lord Lyonel. I can think of no man more suited to be the Hand of the King."

"That is very kind of you to say, Lord Corlys. His Grace has honored me with the post."

"Pity about Ser Otto." Corlys says to Viserys.

"Despite spending most of my day amidst the grandeur of the Red Keep, the halls of High Tide never fail to impress." Viserys smiles.

"You flatter me, Your Grace. Though I do wish we could meet under happier pretenses."

Viserys squints his eyes at him, "How so?"

"Daemon's wife, Lady Rhea Royce, has passed."

Alysanne looks at Lord Corlys with wide eyes, Viserys turns to look at her.

"A hunting mishap. She was thrown from her horse. Her neck and skull were both crushed in the fall." Rhaenys says from a table full of wine and food.

"A most surprising end. Lady Rhea's skill as both rider and hunter were well-known."

"The gods are cruel." Alysanne adds.

"Indeed." Corlys answers.

"Lady Rhea was a fine woman and a good wife to my brother."

"Sad thing that she and Daemon have no heirs to succeed her. She stood to inherit Runestone." Rhaenys walks over to her husband's side.

"Perhaps we can turn toward happier pursuits." Viserys wished to change the conversation from Daemon. Both him and Alysanne realized what truly happened to Daemon's wife.