6

Alysanne walks with Rhaernya through the halls. The two fuming with anger. "You should be going with them. Take my brother's egg back yourself."

"I know, but the king demanded I stay."

"A Targaryen should rip it from his hands." Rhaernya says.

"Enough Princess. I have trust in Otto and his fleet of guards. Daemon will hand it over, whether he wants to or not."

Rhaernya lets out a deep breath. "I will return to my chambers. I will rejoin you later."

Alysanne nods, breaking off from her.

As she approaches her own quarters, Ser Harwin is standing outside.

"You're back. Is everything alright?"

Alysanne runs a hand through her hair. "Daemon."

He shakes his head. "He is a scoundrel. What has he done now?"

"Stole Baelon's egg for his own heir." It was as if Ser Harwin's jaw hit the floor. "Otto is being sent to Dragonstone to take it back. I wanted to fly there myself but Viserys forbade me from doing so."

"I am going to need that walk through the gardens now."

Ser Harwin smiles.

As the two walk amongst the greenery, Alysanne can't help but remember the bright luscious green that it resembled while she was flying in Essos. Ser Harwin didn't pay much attention to the green beauty around him, but rather the woman beside him.

"How come some of the City Watch joined Daemon on Dragonstone and you did not?"

Ser Harwin plays with his helmet in his hands. "I have half a brain."

Alysanne lets out a small laugh. He shakes his head with a smile. "Many of those men who followed him, followed because they thought he rebuilt the City Watch, and are very thankful to him for that. Many of them think that their loyalty should lie with him."

"And you don't?"

"No. My loyalty lies here, in King's Landing."

"Have you ever thought of joining the King's Guard?"

Ser Harwin laughs at her questions, "No. They cannot take any wives or have any titles. I'm heir to Harrenhal, my father would not have that. I plan to leave the City's Watch after my father passes and take my seat."

"Is there no one else to take your seat if you decide to stay?"

"I have two younger brothers. Bywin and Larys. Bywin serves with me on the City Watch, Larys, well Larys was born with a deformity. My father would never let him take the seat of Harrenhal."

"I did not know you had brothers."

"Bywin and I are nearly twins, only a year apart, but you could not tell Larys is a Strong."

"Aemma was all that I had. I have older half-siblings but they paid no mind to me. They hated that their father remarried to my mother, so in turn, they hated Aemma and I."

"They hold no honor."

"Enough of my family. I can't stand to remember them. Besides Aemma."

Harwin feels his hand brush against hers. He takes it into his grasp. "I miss her everyday."

"I'm sorry Alysanne."

"It's okay. I'm just glad she was able to live a happy life here with Viserys. She deserved it."

The pair walks in silence for a bit, hand in hand.

"Would you marry me, Ser Harwin?"

He stops in his tracks. Turning his body, Alysanne does the same. "Is this a proposal?"

She chuckles. "I'm afraid not. Just pondering your answer."

He holds both her hands now, bringing them toward his chin. "I would marry you in an instance Alysanne."

"There! Lady Alysanne!"

Alysanne drops her hands from Ser Harwins, she watches and a King's Guard runs toward her with Viserys close behind.

The King grasps her shoulders. "Why weren't you watching her!" He shouts.

Alysanne looks at him confused. He drops her shoulders. Ser Harwin stands back, knowing he is unable to touch The King, no matter how badly he wanted to rip him away from her. "Rhaenyra! She has left for Dragonstone. Why weren't you with her?"

She stays silent. She did not think she would have fled to Dragonstone to retrieve the egg herself. Viserys looks at Ser Harwin, fuming with anger. "Ser Harwin, away at once."

Reluctantly, he nods, and turns away from them. Viserys leans closer to her. "You let my daughter ride to Dragonstone on her own so you could be with him?"

She shakes her head, "No, Viserys, she told me she was going back to her chambers."

He puts his hand on his forehead. "You are to not see Ser Harwin after this. I tried to allow it but it is now getting in the way of the safety of my daughter. You are supposed to be her hand."

"Viserys please, I didn't know she would-"

"You didn't know? You didn't know? Daemon could slay her on Dragonstone and become heir again. If her blood is shed it is on your hands."

Viserys turns to walk away from her. "Escort Alysanne back to her chambers."

Alysanne awaited anxiously for someone to release her from her quarters. Viserys ordered that she was not allowed to leave until Rhaernya was returned. Eventually, a knock rang along the concrete walls. She let out a sigh of relief.

The guards brought her to Viserys' room. The miniature structure of Old Valriya being decorated in orange light from the flames that danced around it.

"Your Grace." She says, putting her arms in front of her.

Viserys sits in front of a fire, an empty chair next to him. "Sit Alysanne."

She does as he says, sitting in front of the warmth.

"I apologize for losing my temper with you. I had such fear for Rhaenyra's safety and I should not have yelled at you like that in the gardens."

"Yes, Your Grace."

He sighs, leaning back in his chair.

"I accept your apology. But I may ask, you said I was unable to see Ser Harwin. Does that stay true?"

He turns his head to her, "It does. You are to no longer see him. He will be moved to be stationed elsewhere in the city. His brother, Bywin, will be your guard from now on. You don't intend to marry him anyways."

She wanted to cry at the thought of being seperated from Ser Harwin. "But, Your Grace..."

He leans forward, putting his elbows on his knees, bringing his hands together in front of him. He examines his rotting finger wrapped in a bandage.

"You are the Princess's Hand. You were supposed to be at her side, especially at a moment like this, but instead frolicked in the gardens with Ser Harwin. My daughter does not need a distracted Hand. My word is final, Alysanne."

She drops her head, excusing herself from his chambers. She fights back the tears forming in her eyes as she says her goodbyes.

The following day, the small council was formed again. This time, Alicent is present as a cupbearer as well. The court is gathered around, and a few knights from Corlys fleet are present as well.

"I intend to marry," He announces, looking over toward Rhaernya. "the Lady Alicent Hightower before spring's end."

Lord Corlys stands from his seat. "This is an absurdity. My house is Valyrian, the greatest power in the realm."

"And I am your King."

Lord Corlys looks around the room to the other members of the small council, taking a deep breath. He leaves from his post, shutting the door to the chamber behind him.

Alysanne looks to Rhaenyra, who's almost in tears. She reaches out a hand to her from her spot at the table, but he runs away from it, following Corlys out of the doors.

"Please excuse me, Your Grace." She stands, running after her as well.