04

"Do you want to talk about it?"

The sunset was so indescribably beautiful and enchanting that even the melancholy and tattered clothing Libyan citizens took the time to treasure this scarce tranquility in between their country's constant armed conflict

Eight year-old Everly-Rose Thomas joined the crowd with her father, Timothy Thomas, by her side and let the gentle sunlight to spread warmth through their bodies, as the sky gradually transitioned from the idyllic pink color into orange. 

A loud, piercing alarm, discontinuing irregularly from the severely damaged speakers, came blasting into everyone's ears. Almost instantly, people's frightening yells were heard as they caught countless small dots grew bigger at an alarmingly fast rate.

Parents grabbed their young children and sprinted away, while their older children quickly followed behind. Young adults carried their elderly parents and grandparents and darted out to the nearest bunker, ignoring the latter's request to pick up a lost antique or family photo.

Everly was roughly pulled into her father's arms, her chest aching from the abrupt movements, as her arms still extending to the teddy bear she dropped on the ground. 

"Daddy, my Sammy–"

Her voice was cut off when her father threw her forward, landing harshly on an abandoned cushion, saving her from any broken bones though it didn't lessen the pain on her body. But before she could express her distraught, she was sent flying backwards by a strong explosion blast and her body rolled violently on the ground.

Young Everly let out a strangled cry from the impact, and the fire beset her with its burning heat. She opened her eyes, struggling to find the security and comfort of her father, yet appallingly met with her father's aflame body, writhing in agony as he collapsed on the ground.

"Da–"

Her scream was replaced with a series of gurgling sound as blood rose to her throat, trailing down her cheeks then to the searing asphalt road, and blending with the pool of blood under her body. 

Her eyes welled up with tears as she struggled to move towards her injured father who had seemed to stop moving, but an excruciating pain shot through her entire body and she felt energy rapidly leaving her body. 

Everly looked down, an enormous shrapnel penetrated her chest, blood poured out of her small, delicate body like a fountain, draining her life source in a dangerously fast rate. Before she was pulled into darkness, her father's charred remains hauntingly engraved in her mind.

Everly startled awake and sat bolts upright in her bed, breathing heavily as her hand gripped tightly on the fabric above her chest. Her eyes stared fixedly at the space and images of her nightmares replayed vividly in her mind.