06

"........please"

After sending Jeremy to find Bonnie, Stefan and Damon came face to face with a smug Katherine

"I told you, you need me," She said, leaning seductively on the cave, "Let me think....Elena's in danger? But, it's unfortunate I'm in a tomb or else I would've been a much better help."

Damon narrowed his eyes at her.

"What about Everly?" Stefan asked.

"What about her?"

"She's gone too. We found this beside Elena's car keys in the Lockwood's," He held the smashed phone to her, displaying the photo of them smiling brightly through the cracked screen.

Her smirk fell and blurted out, "What?"

Realization dawn on Stefan and he said matter-of-factly, "You care about her, don't you?"

"I don't care about her," Katherine relaxed back onto the cave wall but her tensed shoulder gave her away.

"Then what if I tell you her heart was beating abnormally fast and her phone was flashing red," He pushed and noticed the jump in her heartbeat.

Katherine pulled out her phone and dialed a number she had called when Everly didn't picked up her phone. 'This is the Thomas Residence. We are not available right now, please leave a message.' She called it multiple times, all went to the same voicemail.

She walked to the tomb's border and met Stefan's eyes, "What do you want to know?"

Ten minutes later, as the Salvatores left the tomb, Katherine called out, "Stefan!"

They turned back.

"I know you don't trust me, but she doesn't know anything. She is innocent and her heart......is fragile," She stared at the ground, words struggling to get out, then met their gazes, "................please."

Damon's eyes widened in shock and Stefan froze in his place, but nodded anyway, "I will."

Katherine visibly relaxed and let out a sigh of relief when the brothers disappeared from the tomb. She wouldn't be able to forgive herself if she was the reason that the girl died.

· ──── ·☼· ──── · 

Everly was silently crouching behind a wall with Elena in front of her, listening into the conversation of their two kidnappers. She never knew the brunette was such a bold risk-taker, with how hard the woman hit her and the red spot on her cheeks, she would expect Elena would curled up into a ball on the couch, like she was doing.

But here they were, eavesdropping.

"So, you called him?" The man asked, pacing around the room.

"No, I called one of his contacts. You know how this works," Rose answered, absentmindedly playing the broken lamp on the table.