08

"You protected me......"

"Any questions," Damon said, looking at the human who seated herself on the couch in the Salvatore Boarding House

"Vampire's blood can heal humans, but if you die with their blood in you, you will go into transition. Sunlight and a stake to the heart are fatal to vampires, and vervain weakened them and protect us from compulsion. Elijah and Klaus are the originals, which is the first family of vampires. Damon killed Elijah and Klaus haven't arrived in this town."

"Witches basically do spells, and Elena and Katherine are doppelgängers, not twins," Everly summarized in one breath, her back straight and hands placed on her knees.

"Very good, student no. 1. Class dismissed," He dramatically clapped his hands together and downed a glass of bourbon, now he knew why Alaric was an alcoholic.

"Hey, uh, Everly, how are you feeling with everything?" Stefan asked from across her.

Everly tensed at the sudden intense stares from the group, which she was introduced to, and said, "Cool."

Caroline and Bonnie chuckled at her reaction, and the former sat beside her, "We're going to be amazing friends and you must come to our girls' nights."

· ──── ·☼· ──── · 

"Everly?" Katherine's said hoarsely, standing up when the human girl avoided her gaze, "You know."

Everly nodded, staring at the ground as her fingers fidgeted the silver sun bracelet on her wrist.

"Are you going to yell at me for lying to you? Or to taunt me for being stuck in the tomb?" The vampire questioned bitterly, ignoring the discomfort in her heart as the thought of losing the only person she can called friend.

Everly snapped her head up, meeting her brown eyes for the first time since she entered the tomb, "Do you think I would do such things? Add salt on an injury?"

"Elena.....they told me many things....bad things, that you did," She leaned on the wall behind her, "They said you were using me as your pawn in whatever you were planning. That you are going to kill me once I become useless, and you were never my friend."

Katherine looked at her.

"But I didn't want to believe them. I refuse to believe all the times you comforted me is a lie. So tell me, Katherine Pierce, were you manipulating me to be your friend? Was any of it real?" Everly's determined eyes met Katherine's stunned ones.

"Yes, I approached you because I thought you are Elena's friend. I thought I could use you to get to her, be my leverage against Stefan and Damon," Katherine said truthfully.

"But I wasn't."

"No, you weren't."

"Then why did you keep agreeing to my lunch and dinner invites? Why didn't you kill me?" Everly crossed her arms, frowning.

"I don't know. I wasn't going to do many things with you, not the Mayor's wake and many other things, not after you told me you and my human doppelgänger aren't friends. And yet," Katherine paused, "Every time, I found myself sitting beside you and eating ice cream."

Everly let out a small smile at the mention of the sweets, she had to basically force it into the vampire's hands.

"I found myself caring for you when I shouldn't and having my witch to spell a gift for you."

"The bracelet."

Katherine nodded, "It's filled with vervain and the spell make it only you can take it off."

"Vervain will render compulsion useless. You protected me........" Everly breathed out, tears welling up in her eyes, relieved her trust was rightfully placed.

The vampire shrugged, "Clearly I wasn't thinking straight," She looked at the blue-eye girl, "Now you can go. I'm sure my dull, boring self-righteous doppelgänger won't like you being here."

"She can't decide who I should be friends with. No one can.......Actually, never mind. My mom can."

Katherine snorted, though she couldn't help but agree with her. She had met the girl's mother before, and indeed, that woman had a pair of sharp eyes. The woman pulled her aside and warned her about not hurting her daughter the first time she went to their' apartment.

Abruptly, Everly threw herself onto Katherine, catching the vampire off-guard and stumbling backwards as her arms firmly secured the human girl. Everly whispered, "Thank you for telling me the truth and not betray me."

Katherine was stunned at her reaction and after a long pause, her arms tightened around Everly and said, "Thank you......for not treating me as enemy," Then whispered inaudibly, "........And give me peace...."

They pulled away and veins suddenly appeared on Katherine's face, the pumping of the blood in Everly's veins was deafening. Katherine pushed Everly away and turned her head away, concealing her reddened eyes and elongated fangs.

"Get out of here. Go behind the barrier," Katherine warned.

After a long pause, Everly snapped out of her daze and moved behind the long mark on the ground. Almost instantly, Katherine reappeared in front of her with her vampire face safely hidden away.

"Are you hungry? Do you want to drink my blood?" Everly extended her wrist over the barrier, "I learned vampires need blood to survive."

"No, I don't need your blood," Katherine pushed the girl's arm, evading the salient veins under her pale skin, "You need to be careful, Everly. Don't offer your blood to a hungry vampire. They'll kill you."

"But you won't, and you'll die if you don't drink blood. I don't think Stefan and Damon would give you one of their blood bags. They seem to dislike you."

"I'm not going to drink from you, Everly. Your heart can't take it and I won't die. Vampires can go years even decades with blood."

"Oh.......I'm gonna go get you some blood bags then."

With that, Everly rushed out the tombs, leaving Katherine alone with a small smile on her lips, and just missed Jeremy Gilbert's slouched back as he descended down the stairs with the Mystic Fall witch by his side.

· ──── ·☼· ──── · 

Everly was contemplating whether she should ask Stefan for some blood or just steal one or two away since it's impossible to get some blood from hospital when she bumped into someone.

"Sorry," She said, glancing up to see whoever she just collided with, and her eyes widened in shock and fear quickly filled her eyes, ".......E-Elijah...?"

"Hello, Ms. Thomas. It is nice to meet you again," The suited original said with a smile, "And please don't fret. I will not harm you."

"I- uh- you....how?" Everly stuttered, calming her pounding heart.

"Can I speak to you for a moment? I promise my intentions are well. I give you my word."

She looked into his eyes and saw the sincerity in them, then hesitantly nodded and followed behind Elijah as he led them into a coffee shop.