15

"Where is Everly?"

Fire licked on her feet, ascending rapidly to her limbs and body, she tried to pat the fire away but it was too late

Fire licked on her feet, ascending rapidly to her limbs and body, she tried to pat the fire away but it was too late. She heard herself screamed in agony as her body thrashed on the burning ground in pain. She felt as if she was melting from the inside out. She could smell the smoke coming from her burnt flesh and the heat suffocated her. Just before she lost her consciousness, her eyes snapped open.

Everly bolted upright in bed, panting heavily from the lingering sensation from her nightmare, and her body shivered at the excruciating pain she experienced so realistically in her sleep, with tears streaming down her pale cheeks. This was the fifth nightmare she had this week, and it was only Saturday. 

She moved to the edge of the bed with her elbows on her knees. Her gaze lingered on the photo frame she had on her nightstand. It was a photograph of her and her dad almost ten years ago. Her younger self was sitting on top of her father's shoulders, grinning from ear to ear as she pulled on his hair like a horse reins. Her dad was looking up, smiling indulgently at her. 

A tear escaped her enchanting blue eyes, blurring her sight, and her fingers tenderly brushed over the picture. A temporarily silence filled the room before it was replaced with her heart wrenching sobs and loud gasps for breath. As the anniversary of his passing became imminently close in two weeks, Everly missed her father, immensely. 

But her cries was cut short when a sharp abrupt pang shot through her pounding heart, causing her to lean forward in attempt to soothe her aching heart. She hastily swallowed the pills stored in the drawer, frowning slightly when there was only a few left. Everly slowly released her grip on her shirts as her heart gradually calmed down, returning to its normal weak thumping. 

"Hello?" Everly picked up her ringing phone and grimaced when she heard how hoarse her voice was.

"Rosie? What is it? Are you okay?" Jenna's worried voice sounded through the phone.

"I'm fine. I just woke up and I haven't drink any water," Everly lied.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, auntie J. Now why did you call me this early?" She rubbed her face, glaring at her own bloodshot eyes in the mirror reflection.

"It's two in the afternoon, Everly............"

Everly's eyes widened slightly in shock, pulling her phone away only to see the tiny numbers on the top of her screen were indeed labeled with PM, ".........Oh."

"When did you sleep last night?" 

"Three, watching Netflix." Another lie. She was awake till dawn, staring into the ceilings of her room.

Jenna chuckled from the other side and said, "Well, I was wondering if you want to come to the Grill with me. Elena, Caroline and Bonnie are coming too."