22

"Calm down, love."

Klaus listened to the scream of his 'gift' as Stefan viciously bit into her neck, and he smiled at thought of his old comrade slowly returning to his senses

Klaus listened to the scream of his 'gift' as Stefan viciously bit into her neck, and he smiled at thought of his old comrade slowly returning to his senses. But his smirk faltered when his gaze landed on the unconscious girl on the couch, who appeared to be in another nightmares as she squirmed and mumbled incoherent words under her breath. Though unlike before, her eyes snapped opened, making him sighed in relief that the spell finally wore off. It was starting to worry him.

Everly shot upright, her eyes darting everywhere in panic as she panted heavily, "W-wha- Klaus.....Jenna....No......" She muttered and scrambled up from her seat when she met eyes of the hybrid, and swayed as the lightheartedness kicked in from the sudden movement.

Klaus watched her movement with furrowed eyebrows, her heart was beating erratically quick for a human, "Calm down," He stepped closer to the girl.

"Don't touch me," Everly spat at his extended hands that tried to steady her, and pressed herself against the deepest corner of the living room. She glared at the hybrid with animosity while her lips opened slightly as she gasped for breath, her hand gripping tightly on the fabric of her chest. Her heart pounding deafeningly in her ears.

"Calm down, love. I'm not going to hurt you," Klaus said.

"Jenna.........you killed her.......didn't you?" She croaked out between breaths.

"Yes."

"You killed her.......you killed my aunt........." Everly cried, tears rolling down her cheeks, devasted.

Klaus said in confusion, "I was not aware you are a Gilbert."

"I'm not. But Jenna...........she has stayed with me after everything......." She whimpered repeatedly as her sight blurred with the fresh tears in her eyes, "She's my aunt and y-you killed her..........you killed her.......you killed my aunt," Her heart thumped as if it was overdriving, and it was reflected by how breathless she had become and the cold sweats breaking out of her forehead.

Not wanting to deal with Elijah's rage after the girl died in his care, Klaus took a step closer, "You need to calm down before that little motor in you explode, and I'll never hear the end of it from Elijah."

"You killed her.....you-Ah!" Everly yelped a sudden stabbing pain in her heart, and black spots filling her vision as heaviness on her chest knocked the air out of her lungs and drained every ounce of strength in her limbs. She collapsed, falling face down on the floor.

Klaus's eyes widened and sped forward to catch her unconscious body before it hit the ground, frowning deeply at her ghastly pale face and her purplish lips. 

"What's going on?" Stefan returned to the apartment with blood dripping down his chins and staining all over his collar, creasing his eyebrow at the limped human girl the hybrid was holding.

"It appears we are going to the hospital first before we hit the road," Klaus glanced up at the Salvatore, then gestured at his dirty clothes, "And go clean yourself up. We don't want to scare the civilians now, do we?"

· ──── ·☼· ──── ·

"So what is wrong with her?" Klaus asked a neatly-shaved, dark hair doctor with a sturdy and muscular physique who just exited the operation room that Everly was sent in a few hours ago.

"I'm sorry, but you are? And your relation with the patient?" The doctor took down the mask on his face, pulling off the cap on his head.

"I'm Nik. Her friend," A quiet scoff was heard from behind him, making him warningly glared at the young Salvatore, and continued, "I'm the one who brought her in."

"My name is Dr. Davis and I'm her temporary cardiologist after Dr. Hill went to a heart transplant conference in Europe. Do you have contacts with her direct relatives? We tried to call her mom but it seemed like her phone is off or doesn't have service, and her second emergency number, Jenna Sommers, went into voice mail."

Klaus froze at the mention of the latter name, shocked at the girl's close relation with Elena's aunt, and said, "Am I not enough?"

"If her relatives are available, it will be the best. But if not, you'll have to deliver the information to her family in case we aren't unable to reach her family," Dr. Davis flipped through the document a nurse passed to him earlier and said, "From the record, Ms. Thomas had severe myocardial contusion nine years ago and had been prescribed with pacemaker for seven years now. A week ago, she experienced a heart attack triggered by her panic attack. We have inspected her pacemaker then, it was working well. Her heart has some mild deterioration."

"What happened earlier was a cardiogenic shock, we suspect to be caused by the torn muscles in her valve. We have replaced the damaged valve with an artificial one, which would be able to last up to twenty years, plenty of time before her transplant takes place," He paused for a moment, looking up from his papers, and said solemnly, "However, it is essential for her family and friend to be aware that even with all the help, Ms. Thomas' heart isn't healthy and will continue to deteriorate if not well-taken care of."

"What do we need to do?" Klaus asked, frowning at the revelation.

"Keep her emotions as stable as possible, don't do intense exercise, and don't do stressful activities, such as roller coasters, being startled."

"Can she go home?" The hybrid nodded and asked, it seemed like he might need to keep his hunt relatively 'peaceful,' while Stefan remained silent at the back, making mental notes to keep the girl out of whatever Klaus was planning.

Dr. Davis nodded and led the pair to the room where Everly was resting with IV hooked onto her arm, then said before walking away, "Once the medicine is finished and unhooked, you can bring her home."

A/N: Medical stuff not entirely correct. Don't believe them. Short chapter cuz I don't want to keep using the paragraph separator >.<