32

"Do you think I can tell my mom about vampires?"

The car ride was silent with Everly staring blankly at the road, whilst Katherine repeatedly stole glances at the girl

The car ride was silent with Everly staring blankly at the road, whilst Katherine repeatedly stole glances at the girl. The latter's gaze landed on the purplish bruise on the former's neck, then she tentatively asked, "So what happened to your neck?"

Everly said after a pause, "Rebekah lost her temper. She thought I took her necklace."

Katherine frowned, "But you still have that protection necklace Elijah gave you."

Everly shrugged and her fingers grasped on the wooden necklace.

"Can I see it?" Katherine's eyes glimpsed at the object Everly handed her and her attention returned to the road, placing it back onto the human's palm. She mused, "Did it work before?"

"Once. When I angered Klaus. Why?"

"I'm not a witch so I don't know the exact spell, but the necklace does emit protective magic. Not sure why it didn't work, maybe it's just a one time thing?"

Everly stared at the necklace for a moment then put it into her pocket, and said quietly, "It doesn't matter."

"Is it because of Rebekah got you hurt? " Katherine asked and added when she didn't reply, "The necklace that's missing is the one Stefan gave to Elena. Elijah didn't know, and I heard him fought Klaus for you. And that is something else."

It was Everly's turn to look at the vampire with a slight frown that seemed to be engraved on her brows, "Why are you defending Elijah? I thought you hate him?"

"I don't hate Elijah. I hate Klaus. Besides, he used to 'court' me five hundred years ago before I knew Klaus was gonna sacrifice me on a stupid rock."

"What?" Everly's eyes widened in shock.

Katherine chuckled at her face and smirked. She teased, "Are you scared that I'm going to steal him from you? He is quite dashing in his suits."

"No-"

"Don't worry your pretty little head over it. You and I are different. With me, he will always put his family first. But you, sweet Everly," She paused, "You hold a special place in Elijah's heart. I heard him fighting with Klaus after you left because his psychotic brother threatened to hurt you. He was enraged and I had never saw Elijah like that even when I betrayed him."

Everly started to play with her hands. She knew what Katherine was saying for she had felt it repeatedly whenever she was with Elijah. The special treatments, gentle movements and respectful words. She wasn't blind to his gestures nor could she denied the feeling that was subtly growing in her heart, but there was bigger problem she needed to solve before she had the capacity to sort out her feelings for the gentle original.

Katherine took her silence as disagreement to her words, so she continued to explain, "With all the drama my doppelgänger brings and her friends that care about no one but themselves, Elijah can protect you."