16

"You're Klaus."

It had been a week after the Grill incident and a few days after Everly was released from the hospital

It had been a week after the Grill incident and a few days after Everly was released from the hospital. It turned out that her panic attack during the fire had caused her heart to speed up so much that it overwhelmed the pacemaker in her chest. 

Her surgeon informed her and Jenna that her pacemaker was slow in helping the heartbeat rate that was above its capacity, and it was in fact performing well exceeding their expectation. It had actually prevented a full-blown heart attack from happening that night.

After being monitored for a day or two and her pacemaker had proven to be working perfectly, Everly's surgeons decided that there was nothing they could do about her heart beside waiting for heart transplant, which sadly wasn't anywhere near foreseeable future.

Afraid of her condition, Jenna was adamant in bringing Everly back to the Gilbert residence with her, regardless of the blue-eye girl's constant refusal. Feeling guilty for being the root to the fire, Elena offered to share room with the distraught and unwell girl, but was shut down when Everly made it clear that she wanted to be alone and the residence's attic would suffice for her temporarily stay, which was once again emphasized by the depressed girl.

Throughout the week, Everly had repeatedly been woken up by her appalling nightmares, each time more gruesome and disturbing than the former. She was only thankful that she never screamed in these dreadful dreams, only her muffled cries were heard, and that was why Elena and Jenna, nor Jeremy had never rushed into her room in the middle of the night, awakened by her screams.

Although her sleepless night was silent, her appearance had changed. There were dark circles under her eyes, her weight had dropped drastically, and her skin had became paler and her lips had that constant shade of blue from her weakened heart. Most saliently was her newly formed habit of falling asleep everywhere, anywhere and at any time. 

These occurrences troubled the other two females in the residence, leading to the situation currently happening in her attic.

"Everly, do you want to come down and eat?" Jenna asked tentatively, looking worriedly at the sulking girl on the bed who was curled up into a ball under the blankets.

"No, thank you," Everly answered quietly with her back facing the door.

"Are you sure?"

Everly nodded.

"I can bring your food up, if you want," Jenna kindly offered but it only fueled her annoyance.

Knowing she meant well and her own engrained manners, Everly restrained herself from snapping at the red hair and said flatly, "I'm not hungry, Jenna and please, I want to be alone."