The Reunion (3)

M tapped his desk, reviewing some paperwork for one of the Professors new inventions, a lot of sticky notes attached to it with the promise it wouldn't blow up.. which concerned M, considering the professor usually didn't blow stuff up unless it was a freak accident with powers and energy involved.

That didn't make M have any more confidence in the project.

It was strange because it didn't look like it had anything strange about it. It was labeled "containment unit", the top of it was pulled up and somehow.. Floats?

M decided to check it off, at worst it probably wouldn't make too big of an explosion.

Lightning rang out outside of his home, which wasn't unusual. It was probably Light or the Professor himself, or maybe just a red steve returning from visiting the kingdoms.

M heard knocking on his door and assumed it was one of the former. He scribbled a signature to approve the invention and hurried downstairs.

/

"So you'll probably stay here, at least until everyone calms down. Maybe don't stay inside all the time, we don't want people to think you went missing again-"

"Mhm, Mhm." Sabre barely replied, shaking with anxiety. M was right behind the door- or somewhere behind it. He'd never really gotten the chance to ever say goodbye to M, he hoped he was able to handle ruling the kingdom well. Maybe now he could help him with that, or at least keep him calm.

Finally, the door creaked open.

"Yes, wha-.."

M trailed off the second his eyes saw Sabre. His grip on the doorknob fell limp as he stared at his old friend. He barely looked any different. Meanwhile, M looked completely different to Sabre. He didn't even have his old cloak anymore, his hair was curled around his ears and crown, and his crown was adorned with rubies and trinkets with a few chips on the tip.

"Y-You-"

Shock kept M's words stuck in his throat. He felt like he was seeing a ghost. Without a thought of doubt, he threw his arms around Sabre and clung on for dear life. It only took a matter of seconds for Sabre to cling back, resting his head on M's shoulder. He barely even remembered missing M this bad. He usually never tried to think about it until recently, which led to him eventually being sent back.

To the contrary, M never stopped missing Sabre. As much as his leader disliked him, Sabre still changed his life more than he could ever know. Sometimes M really did wonder what would've happened if he never met Sabre, or gave into his reckless nature. He was sure he'd still be the leader, but it would just be different. Maybe they'd still be in hiding.

M didn't want to go, he feared if he even loosened his grip Sabre would disappear again. Regardless, time passed by and M eventually had to pull away, but he didn't let go of Sabre's arms.

"I-I just- How?!- I swear you-.."

Words failed M horribly, so he looked at Light for some sort of explanation.

"We found him in the Yellow Kingdom, he just got back from..", Light glanced at Sabre and narrowed his eyes slightly, ".. I'll explain later. Anyways, the Yellow kingdom is currently filled up, so can he stay here for a bit?"

"I- Yeah of course but-" M paused and looked at Sabre again, and he couldn't help but hug him once more. It'd only been a few months, but it'd felt like years. Wait until Sabre found out what happened to that old library, their meeting spot.

".. H-Hey M."

It felt like M was dreaming when he heard that voice. This was real. He was back.

Small sobs were forced out of M's throat as he held onto Sabre's back.