The Investigation (11)

(tw: implied suicide thoughts/attempts)

I can't tell if I like this or not lol I wrote most of this half-awake

“Fuck.”

Light stared blankly at the room. There wasn’t much damage, a chair knocked over and the blankets all messy, the closet doors wildly flung open, but nothing that couldn’t be fixed without just moving a few things back.

No, it was the fact the room was dead empty. The house was empty. Not a signal sign of Sabre.

“Fuck!” Light kicked the already knocked-over chair and watched it hit a wall, not enough to leave a dent. He wanted to kick it again, but he needed to keep himself composed in front of the guards. Kicking the chair was already him showing emotions, he didn’t need to worry the guards by showing more.

“Look around the room, find anything that’ll help us.” Light mumbled, starting to move around the room as he said so. There wasn’t anything that stood out, just a mess of a room. Light opened up the desk drawer and found nothing but papers and pencils, along with a journal. 

He skimmed through the papers until he noticed something that grabbed his attention. It was Sabre’s handwriting, along with someone else’s. It only took a quick read for Light to figure out who he’d been talking to. 

“...god. God. Sabre, you idiot.” Light shoved the paper in his bag, maybe the professor could figure out something with this. Light was already trying to piece what had happened together. There was a minimal struggle, nothing broken. Most likely Sabre didn’t have time to grab anything to attack. His sword was still poking out from under his bed, no blood or anything on it. 

Most likely he tried to run, maybe even hid in the closet. The attacker got in, and took him. At least he thought so. There was a slight, horrible possibility in his head that Sabre was dead, but there were no signs of blood on the floor or furniture anywhere.

“Ay, captain, you might wanna see this.”

One of the floorboards was removed, and Light gasped at what he saw under it. Photos.

Light felt chills run down his spine, most of them were of Sabre, but a few were of him and M. More of M, Light only found one picture of him. It was obvious they hadn’t been paying attention when these photos were taken, and it made Light feel sick.

Some of them had marker scribbles on them, others were ripped or had stab marks on them. There weren't any cobwebs, and there was a very minimal amount of dust, meaning these weren’t here for a very long time. 

Light needed to tell M about this, now. There needed to be a security boost around the Red Kingdom, at least for M. Then they needed to get the papers to the professor, see if he could get anything from them.

“Guards, examine the rest of the house and bring anything suspicious to me. I’m going to the Red Kingdom to inform Amory of this.”

/

“... what..?”

M stared at Light in disbelief. He dropped his pen he’d previously been holding had fallen out of his hands, he stood staring at Light as if he were joking, like this wasn’t actually real.

It was. M felt the dread of it set in, and for a moment he didn’t know what to think. The tears fell down his face before he even knew he was crying, and he felt like the world had paused if only for a mere moment.

“W-When…?”

“Last night, we think, my guards are asking around the village and exploring the house to find anything more suspicious.”